Should I be updating lv4 updates with lv5?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Myrmidon83

Should I be updating lv4 updates with lv5?

Post by Myrmidon83 »

I've read the updates guide before but have only ever done lv5 due to kernel upgrades. But I recently set it to show all and I have lv4 xorg updates, most of them are not related to my chipset but one appears to be a generic one.

My question is, when I do lv5 updates, should I also be doing lv4 with them? This xorg one sounds kinda important lol.

:lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
odo5435

Re: Should I be updating lv4 updates with lv5?

Post by odo5435 »

When you say lv4 and lv5 are you referring to the Security Levels in Mint Update? If that's so, are you only doing Level 5 updates and none of the other levels at all?
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

As far as I know, updating on linux is something -do the way as you want to do it-. Update is a way to keep our software up-to-date, decisions depend on our choice about the "stable" software or the "most-update" software I think. As for kernel-update, I prefer to do it from Synaptic rather than mint-update. but like others says "do you really need an update when your current software just work??"
Myrmidon83

Post by Myrmidon83 »

odo5435 wrote:When you say lv4 and lv5 are you referring to the Security Levels in Mint Update? If that's so, are you only doing Level 5 updates and none of the other levels at all?
Yeah the security levels. I normally always update lv1 and lv2, and review lv3 before installing.

Occasionally I do lv5 updates for kernels but I have never done a lv4 update. As these are sometimes kernel related, I was just wondering if I should be doing lv4 at the same time as lv5.
lahirdenganselamat wrote:As for kernel-update, I prefer to do it from Synaptic rather than mint-update. but like others says "do you really need an update when your current software just work??"
Very true of course, sometimes I like being up to date though. :P

Return to “Beginner Questions”