Black (not blank) screen when booting from CD

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
romsok

Black (not blank) screen when booting from CD

Post by romsok »

Hi,

I have an Acer laptop with Win 7 64 bit installed now. I wanted to install Mint. Downloaded ISO (CD, 64 bit). Burnt to CD.

When I tried rebooting my machine and booting from CD, the following happens:
Black screen with a single line of text (someone's name in it). Then the screen shuts off, and the machine does a lot of spinning and thinking, but nothing appears on the screen. Please, advise.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Black (not blank) screen when booting from CD

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

what ISO did you downloaded? when did the black screen happen? right after BIOS logo or after you selected to boot to LM?
In my experiences, some computer displayed black screen after I select Mint live cd to boot, the screen turn black but continue the boot process (peek by pressing esc or F1).
but its all happen on Linux MInt 11 dvd 32bit, on LM 9 and LM 10 I always get a perfect boot on several PC (an laptop)
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

Someones name? sounds like the syslinux startup line thing to me.

So that means that you would be booting off the cd, and only the very first part loaded. How long did you wait? It can take quite a long time, and the screen is intentionally black until startup.

Could also be a bad burn i suppose.
romsok

Post by romsok »

I downloaded the 64 bit ISO for 1.1
It flashes a Mint screen counting down till boot.
Yes, I am booting from CD.

Return to “Beginner Questions”