System crashes often, how do I find out why?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintbox7

System crashes often, how do I find out why?

Post by mintbox7 »

I have LM11 main with all updates. Running Firefox 6 I thought, but it seems I'm running 7.0.1 now. This must have been installed without my knowledge.

What happens is always the same, I type in the address of a site I want to visit and at the same millisecond I press enter and that site starts loading the computer dies and restarts, and there is a variant of this too, I click to go somewhere else on a site and when it starts loading everything goes black and the system restarts. This happens several times a day. Temperatures are good.

I wonder if there is some kind of crash report created somewhere and how I can access to maybe see what is causing the crash.
Or maybe i could install something that logs crashes? Because this will happen again.

Anyone want to guess what might be causing this crash?

I have read on the internet many people blame Firefox and Flash for these types of problems, but thats only a browser, it should not be able to crash the whole system or?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mintbox7

Re: System crashes often, how do I find out why?

Post by mintbox7 »

I have read up on this now. Maybe its the x-server crashing?

inxi -F returns nothing unusual, I'm using X.Org 1.10.1
dmesg returns a whole lot of system hardware information, and I don't think its hardware related
cat ~/.xsession-errors returns lots of errors. This one in particular (nm-applet:3463): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **
mintbox7

Post by mintbox7 »

W T F once again!!

(nm-applet:12315): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_composite: assertion `dest_x >= 0 && dest_x + dest_width <= dest->width' failed
** (nm-applet:12315): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb

Will Xubuntu give me the same problems?? I'm abandoning very soon.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

have you try another OS on the same hardware? my guess is something about the kernel, trying to get updated kernel (or maybe downgrade it) may solve your problems. Unsuitable kernel may cause a lot of weird thing..
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

Seeing as the only errors you find pertain to nm-applet (its the front end for the network-manager) perhaps try disabling it for a session, then seeing if you can replicate your error.

Note: This will remove the wifi icon in the bottom right. I'm not sure if it stops you connecting to the web

Code: Select all

sudo killall nm-applet
If you manage to get an error about the network-manager, it is located in /etc/init.d so requires a slightly different treatment on mint (the ubuntu based version at least)

Code: Select all

sudo service network-manger stop
mintbox7

Post by mintbox7 »

Install a new kernel? Is it hard to do? I have read in these very forums someone else having a very similar problem and a new kernel fixed it.

How do I install a new kernel?
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

You can upgrade your kernel by Synaptic or by Update Manager, to update through the update manager, you must get level 4 and 5 become visible (on edit-preferences)
istrandi

Post by istrandi »

Return to “Beginner Questions”