Close lid without suspending system?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tommelee

Close lid without suspending system?

Post by tommelee »

Greetings. I just finished setting up my Dell Mini10 as a fileserver/media hub. It would be EXTREMELY helpful if I could close the lid without the system suspending/hibernating, however in power management this is not an option. Any suggestions for this please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Close lid without suspending system?

Post by ThistleWeb »

In the power management settings there are options for what to do in various circumstances, including closing the lid. It's all drop down menu selections.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

Do you want to keep your laptop running on closed lid? I think it wasn't wise decision, it just adding the risk of damaging the moving parts (like magnetik HDD, optical), and as far as I know, the hardware setting do suspend it's activity on closed lid..
tommelee

Post by tommelee »

Yes, it's in the dropdown settings in power management, but DO NOTHING or REMAIN ON isn't an option. Options are "suspend" and "hibernate" on lid close.

FWIW, this is a netbook and has no optical drive. Lid closed, it can operate headless with remote in via putty, on a shelf in a closet without having to worry about accidental button presses, etc.
RETNUH

Post by RETNUH »

What Mint are you running?

On Mint 11 it is "control center>power mangement>when laptop lid is closed" Then there are four options: blank screen, suspend, hibernate, shut down.
tommelee

Post by tommelee »

Hmm. I'm on Mint 11. I'll look again when it's back in front of me. "Blank Screen" is an option for screen timeout setting, but I didn't see it elsewhere. Thanks for the follow up, will check again.
tommelee

Post by tommelee »

Well crap. You're right. I didn't see it because the way the dropdown comes up actually defaults the selection to the second option instead of the first, and so "blank screen" is above instead of below. Sorry for the stupid q, it was right where I thought it should be.

Return to “Beginner Questions”