need help with backgrounds/wallpapers(SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

need help with backgrounds/wallpapers(SOLVED)

Post by podagee »

im trying to get rid of the wallpapers that came with mint 11 and add some other ones.im trying to make a remixed version that i can pass out to my friends so its not the basic you download.i tried making a folder and sticking it in backgrounds but i keep getting an error.some help needed thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: need help with backgrounds/wallpapers

Post by ThistleWeb »

I'm guessing it's a permissions error, but providing that type of information when asking for help would help us narrow down a solution. As a user you can't write to anywhere outside of your /home folder. You have two options, one you can open Nautilus as root and copy those wallpapers into that folder so they're available to every user on your install, or you can keep that folder of wallpapers in your /home directory somewhere and point to them. This is what I do, it's much easier.
podagee

Post by podagee »

yes its a permission error.i have it that way but i want it a bit cleaner then making them have to do everything.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

It maybe worth trying putting the individual wallpapers you want to use in /usr/share/backgrounds rather than putting them in a seperate folder in there.
You can also leave the wallpapers in another location on your harddrive and use the "set as wallpaper" option on the right-click menu - mouse hovering over the wallpaper in the Appearance>Background window will give you the path to it's location
podagee

Post by podagee »

which nautilus do i open as root cause i just checked and there is a lot of them
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

In terminal

Code: Select all

gksudo nautilus
podagee

Post by podagee »

tried that oscar and this is what i get
Screenshot.png
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

You need root access, as stated by ThistleWeb above. I gave the command to open nautilus as root.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Using the command proxima_centauri posted will fix that podagee
proxima_centauri wrote:In terminal

Code: Select all

gksudo nautilus
podagee

Re: need help with backgrounds/wallpapers(SOLVED)

Post by podagee »

thanks a lot guys worked perfectly

Return to “Beginner Questions”