"Error splicing file" - check before copying ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Adamastor77

"Error splicing file" - check before copying ?

Post by Adamastor77 »

Hi everybody,

A few weeks ago, one of my laptops (running with Win Vista) crashed (BSoDs all the time) and I am now unable to run windows on it.

I am using a LiveUSB version of Linux Mint (v9) in order to copy/paste data from the hard disk of this laptop to an external HDD. I have a lot of files to transfer (mainly mp3 and pictures) although each of them is not very big. Every now and then, during files tranfer, the operation freezes for 3-4 minutes and I eventually got the error message:

"Error splicing file - Input/output error".

It happens always with the same files. And if they are pictures, part of it is missing (black) in the destination file. The rest of the pic being OK.
I guess that all my troubles come from my laptop hard disk which must be partially damaged. But my question is not about this error message:

Is there any way to identify files which are located on damaged portions of hard disk before beginning transfer? Now, transfer process takes ages. I would like to identify those files and delete them before transferring.

Thanks in advance for your help

Luis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: "Error splicing file" - check before copying ?

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

I don't think thats possible. If a file is corrupted, a program would need to analyze it and match it to some sort of checksum to verify it against the original file. Since you don't have checksums of every file on your harddrive, I don't think that a program (such as a checksum verifying one) would know which file is broken and which one is intact.

GParted has an option that tries to fix bad sectors on the harddrive, you should try it and see if it helps.
Adamastor77

Re: "Error splicing file" - check before copying ?

Post by Adamastor77 »

Thank you for your answer.

With a lot of patience, I eventually managed to transfer my data to an external device. I will try GParted to check my HD

Return to “Beginner Questions”