LMDE to Katya----old issues fade, new ones take place...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
wwoof
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE to Katya----old issues fade, new ones take place...

Post by wwoof » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:10 pm

Well, some of my old problems went away but now I have new ones with Katya"

1. Can't detect my monitor and have to use "generic" driver

2. Video blinks or hiccups to black screen and come back on after a few seconds to minute! Does not do this when in XP.

3. Can not save bookmarks in Opera or Firefox. If I turn off the machine they will disappear overnight. When in Opera I am getting a constant message that the bookmarks file cannot be saved--try again?

In addition, Katya does not have the Ice Weasel calendar program in the library.

wwoof
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE to Katya----old issues fade, new ones take place...

Post by wwoof » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:49 pm

In utter frustration I installed Ubuntu. This thing is like grammar school. Very few options and my favorite Opera is not available. BUT, what the hey, even using Firefox I get the periodic video blink to black. Again, the generic video driver came up and I had no choices. There must be something wrong in the recent releases of video drivers. This blink occurs in 201012, Katya, and now the latest Ubuntu. The irony is that I am using a different computer with a better processor and this blink does not occur in XP.

For those fans who breathlessly follow my exploits let me remind you on my other box I had an abrupt power failure and when I powered back on the right driver (Westinghouse) was in place and the settings were right! It's like it took shock treatment to get the thing motivated...dunno.

I have ordered the latest Debian DVD and will install it over Ubuntu. If it's not working right I'm done with Linux.

Oh yeah, now I have to enter passwords all over the place. In Mint installs I made myself Admin so I don't understand why.

mag
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mag » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:11 pm

I had a machine that had problems with recent versions of Ubuntu, Mint (post Helena), and LMDE.

PCLinuxOS works well on it though.

Just a thought before you ditch Linux.

wwoof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wwoof » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:34 pm

You know, I really hate to ditch Linux but these problems are perplexing.

The bookmarks thing seems to be fixed because I saved multiple formats and somehow an Opera bookmarks file didn't have an extension! But that was in Katya so it really was really my muff.

I'm thinking this Intel video and the current generic driver don't like each other. It's an Optiplex 745 with C2D and very quick.

I really like sticking it to MS so I will give it another college try and pray it works.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Newbie Questions”