Themes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srinathmkce

Themes

Post by srinathmkce »

I installed Linux Mint 11 today.. I wish to change themes.. In the appearance window there is a link "Get More Themes Online". From that link i downloaded Icons, Login Screen, Controls Themes in .tar.gz format..

I used terminal to extract files. to compile i typed ./configure.. it reported this error..
bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
I am unable to proceed..

Next i went thro appearance window.. Cliked install and located this .tar.gz file.. It too reported this errror.
"Orange_Musashi" does not appear to be a valid theme.

The login Screen theme that i downloaded was awesome.. I wish to use it..can anybody help how to remove this error to change my login screen,icons,controls

Thanks in advance!..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Themes

Post by proxima_centauri »

srinathmkce wrote:The login Screen theme that i downloaded was awesome.. I wish to use it..can anybody help how to remove this error to change my login screen,icons,controls
The login themes are no longer valid for GDM (the login screen). See here for the available options you can change.
podagee

Post by podagee »

i think there is a way to change the log in screen by doing a terminal install with gksu nautilus.u can add the theme but there doesnt seem to be the release of the command lines.something similar to install a plymouth theme.
podagee

Post by podagee »

dont know if this will work but you can try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAEm7AjkCFE
srinathmkce

Post by srinathmkce »

Thanks for your suggestion.. Could you tell me wat GDM means? and where can i download gtk themes?
podagee

Post by podagee »

"gnome display manager"
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

GTK themes are available from http://www.gnome-look.org
srinathmkce

Post by srinathmkce »

i downloaded the theme from gnome-look.org under gdm category.. the file was *.tar.gz..

i used following command to extract

$ tar zxf filename.tar.gz

The file got extracted and a folder is created. I used cd command to enter into that folder.. Now if i use ./configure command i get a following error..

bash: ./configure: No such file or directory

how to proceed? please help!
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

You do not need to compile themes. Additionally, as I stated, you cannot use any GDM themes with this version of Linux Mint.

You can only install GTK themes. To install GTK themes, once you have the theme.tar.gz archive, extract it. From there, move the folder to ~/.themes.
Then it will be available in Appearance Preferences under Theme. You may need to poke around in Customize for your theme if it does not show in the box.

Return to “Beginner Questions”