Adding PPA's in LM12RC

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Adding PPA's in LM12RC

Post by bimsebasse » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:41 pm

Mint noob used to Ubuntu ways issue: everytime I add a PPA, it gets .../lisa/main added to it, and doesn't work, system won't update because of course it fails to fetch the address. How do you guys add ppa's?

Example:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tiheum/equinox

creates the error message:

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/tiheum/equinox/ubuntu/dists/lisa/main/source/Sources  404  Not Found
Last edited by proxima_centauri on Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added LM12RC to title
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Adding PPA's in Mint

Post by proxima_centauri » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:10 pm

This is a bug with LM12RC.

Open a terminal.

cd /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
ls
You'll see the equinox repo file.

sudo gedit nameofRepo.list
Change "lisa" to "oneiric"

You'll have to do this for each repo you add with "sudo apt-add repository ppa://"

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Adding PPA's in LM12RC

Post by bimsebasse » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Cheers mate, thought maybe there was an easier way or I was missing something, but OK, it'll do until the proper release is out :)
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

Nick_Djinn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Adding PPA's in LM12RC

Post by Nick_Djinn » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:53 am

Should I still be able to copy PPA to the sources line using the graphical tool 'Software Sources'? I wanted to add Backbox repos to test my sites security, as Im doing a lot of activist work and dont need my sites defaced. The PPA is for an older release of Ubuntu, but it should still automatically pin like it did in Mint 11, right?

Return to “Newbie Questions”