How can i tell which Tkinter i have? Also upgrading to LM12

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RETNUH

How can i tell which Tkinter i have? Also upgrading to LM12

Post by RETNUH »

First, How can i tell which Tkinter(python3) I have? I don't know if it is the "python3-tk" package that provides Tkinter or the Python3 package that does. Either way how do I tell which Tkinter I have?]

Second, Is there a way to upgrade to Mint 12(once it is released) without losing all of my settings?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: How can i tell which Tkinter i have? Also upgrading to L

Post by cwsnyder »

Are you sure you need the Python 3 version of Tkinter?

The package you want is either python-tk or python3-tk, and if you enter Tkinter in the search box of Synaptic, the installed version will show on your list.

Upgrading to Mint 12 should not lose your settings if:
- You upgrade from Update Manager, or
- You have a separate /home partition and you don't format that partition during the upgrade.

You can also make a backup of your /home folder and restore those folders which have not been updated by the installation, but be careful that you don't restore settings for applications which are no longer installed or have been upgraded.
Last edited by cwsnyder on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RETNUH

Re: How can i tell which Tkinter i have? Also upgrading to L

Post by RETNUH »

I have the "python3-tk" package and the newest python 3(available through the package manager). What i'm wondering is what version of tkinter i have. Like the version number, for example the newest(I think) is 8.5

Return to “Beginner Questions”