Not Getting Sound Please Help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
razz86

Not Getting Sound Please Help

Post by razz86 »

I just switched over from windows 7 to Linux Mint 11 ( 64 bit ) and when i was running windows 7 i was running my sound from my video card though the HDMI cable to the tv ( Samsung 3D Tv ) can someone please explain to me STEP BY STEP simple instructions on how i can do this with Linux Mint ... thank you ever so much in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Not Getting Sound Please Help

Post by Silent Warrior »

Just to confirm, double check that I understood what you're trying to do:

You want to
Output sound FROM PC, TO television set, using HDMI cable connected to your video card

Correct? I only have one sound option on this computer, and that's the usual analogue out, so I can't give you precise, to-the-pixel precision, instructions. Anyway, what I would do is to click on the volume control icon and enter Sound settings. Then I'd check out the Hardware tab, see what profiles are available, and pick the appropriate one (most likely Digital <something something> ). Then I would go to Output and set the Connection option to what appears to be the HDMI-connection. You may need to exit the applet to get the settings applied, but maybe not. If this doesn't work, double check that nothing is muted. Back in Sound settings, you have the Applications tab and the volume slider, but it might also pay to run alsa-mixer (install it in case it isn't installed by default), see if something's muted there. If that STILL doesn't work, you're going to hate yourself with a passion if it turns out you just didn't turn up the volume far enough to hear.

Now... would you PLEASE explain why you're using a modern TV, of all things, as a speaker? When I went from a chubby Kendo 32" crummy eccentric budget TV to a funky Philips 42" HDTV, the sound quality dropped so sharply I just can't find the words...
razz86

Post by razz86 »

Silent Warrior wrote:Just to confirm, double check that I understood what you're trying to do:

You want to
Output sound FROM PC, TO television set, using HDMI cable connected to your video card

Correct? I only have one sound option on this computer, and that's the usual analogue out, so I can't give you precise, to-the-pixel precision, instructions. Anyway, what I would do is to click on the volume control icon and enter Sound settings. Then I'd check out the Hardware tab, see what profiles are available, and pick the appropriate one (most likely Digital <something something> ). Then I would go to Output and set the Connection option to what appears to be the HDMI-connection. You may need to exit the applet to get the settings applied, but maybe not. If this doesn't work, double check that nothing is muted. Back in Sound settings, you have the Applications tab and the volume slider, but it might also pay to run alsa-mixer (install it in case it isn't installed by default), see if something's muted there. If that STILL doesn't work, you're going to hate yourself with a passion if it turns out you just didn't turn up the volume far enough to hear.

Now... would you PLEASE explain why you're using a modern TV, of all things, as a speaker? When I went from a chubby Kendo 32" crummy eccentric budget TV to a funky Philips 42" HDTV, the sound quality dropped so sharply I just can't find the words...

well im using my tv as my monitor because i dont have cable or any type of sat ... iv gone though and made sure i have all my settings set to my HDMI and still nothing not exactly sure what to do i can take S/S of my settings if it will help u explain what i need to do and as for alsa-mixeri cant seem to find that in package manager or software manager ... im starting to consider just buying a decent pair of computer speakers and get a good sound card cuz the sound card i have now dont even support 5.1
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Ah, I see. Now it makes more sense. Now, just to double check: What profile is active on the Hardware tab? What application are you using to test your sound - what do you see in the Application tab while it's running?
(Can't find alsa-mixer? Don't fret, it might not be necessary. You'd find it for sure in the Package Manager, though - I haven't trawled the Software Manager in any depth.)

As for getting actual speakers... It would certainly result in a more conventional setup, and maybe it's a bit more likely that PulseAudio will use them right off the bat, but any configuration step after connecting them is just a variation of what I suggested above. If you're already using the TV, you might as well skip the extra speakers.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Please open a terminal and type the following commands. Paste the output of each back here (if the result of the .asoundrc command is file not found, confirm that, too):

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/cards
cat ~/.asoundrc
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM

Return to “Beginner Questions”