[SOLVED] A PIM that works in Mint?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lam@lmf
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] A PIM that works in Mint?

Post by lam@lmf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Kontact really doesn't work in Mint and I need Calendar/Contact DB for my business to operate. I'm not wedded to KDE so does anyone know of something out there that can work 'out of the box' with Mint?

I've spent a week trying to get Kontact to work, looking at other distros/pim apps. I need to get back to work with years of records available again. I think Mint is great but I need a Calendar and a Contact DB with similar functionality to Kontact.

I've tried Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS and Fedora16 and they just make me like Mint more. I don't mind work but I'm older, don't have a background in computers and my learning curve is taking longer than my business can afford.
Last edited by lam@lmf on Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 11 Katya Kernel 2.6.38-8-generic (x86_64)
Asus U56E Notebook PC Intel Core i5-2430M 2.4GHz

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: A PIM that works in Mint?

Post by xenopeek » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Evolution is the GNOME default PIM I think (though you have to install it on Linux Mint). Zimbra Desktop is another alternative, more focused at business use. I think you have to download and install that manually from their website.

lam@lmf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lam@lmf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:21 pm

I've never used or seen Evolution but it seems like it will do the job. It isn't installed and after what happened with Kontact I wasn't sure what would work for someone with my lack of experience.

I don't have much installation experience but using the Synaptic Package Manager should be easy. Marking evolution gets me only three additional packages suggested. Am I right in thinking that the necessary dependencies would all be listed for install?

Thank you for such a quick response, I'll let you know how it goes.

Anakinholland
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Anakinholland » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:26 pm

In the for-last issue of Linux Format (#151) there was an article about just this topic.

They tipped Mozilla thunderbird as their winner, but since that's only a mail-client, they used Mozilla Lightning as the PIM module. Was mentioned as "pretty zippy" on a Dual-core laptop, but not so much on an Atom CPU.

After that came Evolution, mentioned because of it's desktop-integration, and would have been their winner if it'd been a cross-platform application. However, it is also mentioned that the new version requires Gnome3 libraries, so you may have to take that into account.

Then came Zimbra, with a remark about it being proprietary software.

Good luck!

Anakin
Please Edit your initial post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

lam@lmf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lam@lmf » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:39 pm

I've spent the afternoon looking at (installing & importing) Evolution and Lightning. I didn't look at Zimbra since my purpose in moving to Linux was to get away from proprietary software. So far I'm not having much luck as these don't have anything like the capabilities I've come to depend on. Even the newer Kontact can't keep up with the amount of information I've been routinely sorting and recording.

I started using Kontact when I got an Asus EPC 702 to replace my dead Palm. I've never had anything else and so I didn't realize how much more it could do than the others. I'm supposed to be replacing the EPC as my records have outgrown the system. I'm guessing that the solution (for now) is to move everything else to the new machine and devote the EPC's resources to the old Kontact.

Thank you. I appreciate the time you've taken to help me.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:40 pm

Here is a collection/list..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... n_managers

http://www.treepad.com/
--I quite like these types, more of an outliner program, but simple : I don't know if there is an GNU option available for something like or similar..

lam@lmf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lam@lmf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 am

I should have done the 'SOLVED' edit after my last post. Sorry, I'm not trying to be ill-mannered.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”