Install Luminance 2.1 .... help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nige
Level 1
Level 1

Install Luminance 2.1 .... help

Post by nige »

So I am just starting this new journey with Mint 11. And so far pretty pleased. I am no geek and I guess the phrase 'keep it simple stupid' could apply to me.
However I have several questions, and won't post them all here in one post. I installed Mint after Windows completely crashed on my lap top. So I installed Mint as 'main tenant'. Install was easy, and no issues. My intention for this lap top is to use it solely for photography.
As I have been used to the MS method of installing programs, I am just a little stuck;

1. I have downloaded the Luminance ( .tar.gz ) file download, but just need a clue as to how install and run it.

I know this will seem like the dumbest of questions. :?

Cheers.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Install Luminance 2.1 .... help

Post by remoulder »

nige wrote:I have downloaded the Luminance ( .tar.gz )
Software in linux is not generally done by downloading and installing, one installs from online repositories via a software (or package) manager. This handles the details for you, you just click to install. I don't believe luminance is in the default repositories but it is in the removed ones which are not enabled by default. To enable these open Software Manager and in the Edit menu choose Software sources and in there goto the Other Software tab and tick the 2 lines that mention removed. Ok out then in the Software Manager search for luminance, it should now be there
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
nige
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nige »

@Remoulder,
thnx, that seems to of worked, although it has downloaded Luminance 2.0, and I was looking for 2.1.0, but its a start so I can start to see how good LumHDR'2.0 is as a HDR program. I looked to see if there was an update option but couldnt see one in the program.

Cheers.
nige
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nige »

I would still like to install the 2.1.0 version I have downloaded, by going through the Terminal and entering the correct commands. ( need to learn ).
So, if I go to downloads file, open Luminance folder, go to file and select 'Open in Terminal' and then enter the command 'qmake', as detailed in the install file, I get this.

The program 'qmake' can be found in the following packages:
* qt3-dev-tools
*qt4-make
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected packages>

So dont understand this, am I on the right track, ??

Cheers.
fabian_89
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fabian_89 »

Hi nige,

There is a PPA repository containing Luminance 2.1.0, among other tools: https://launchpad.net/~dhor/+archive/myway

It's an 'untrusted' PPA, meaning it does not come from any official developer, but you might follow the link and decide for yourself whether you trust the site.

You can install it by opening a terminal and typing

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:dhor/myway
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install luminance
Greetings,
Fabian
nige
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nige »

I have trusted version of Luminance 2.1.0 downloaded, but havent been able to install it ( see my previous post), and thats what I want to do, but I am new to Mint, so now need to learn the ropes.

Return to “Newbie Questions”