Game Installations

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
doubt
Level 1
Level 1

Game Installations

Post by doubt »

I have just set-up a Linux Mint dual boot on my curently existing Windows Vista machine. I use to use linux (gentoo) through highschool (ran school server computers) but never really fell into it on my personal machines, decided to start with Mint today.

Anyways, I set a 50 gb parition of from my hard drive, installed mint from a live manually setting up partitions for /boot, /, /home, and swap. They were all set to the recomended sizes (/boot = 300mb, / = 8gb, swap = 2gb, and home = rest).

What I am having an issue with, is that Mint allocates the games folder in the File System directory... as such after one games (ontop of cowsay and fortunes) I have started to run out of space....

Is their either way to

A) direct mint to move the games folder and installed apps/games to the home directory where there is much more room....

or

B) should I reinsert the live cd, and is there a way to change the partitions and give it more room?

I've already attempted to go in as root, right click games folder (usr/games) and select Move To: Home Directory... at which point it dissaparead (cant find it anywhere, not in home directory), and all my cowsay and fortune things got messed up in the terminal start (that I have fixed)....

Just need help with my installation of games issue... anyone?
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Game Installations

Post by Kilz »

I think the live cd has partion software that will let you rezise things. You could also use the gparted live cd. Alternately you could copy the game folder to home, delete the game game folder in /usr/games that you copied. Then symlink it

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /home/username/games /usr/games
You will have to edit it a little to put in your username.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

Wow, only 8 Gb for / ? I run at least double that - but I use more than one DE, as well.
To try to answer your question as it is asked:
A: Possibly, though it would likely be much easier to just compile it yourself and set your /home directory as a prefix for make. Does this make sense to you? :) If not, try something else.
B: By far the easiest way. I won't be a silly bugger and tell you how many Gb you should have for /, but I WILL say that anything beyond 25 Gb is completely absurd. Anywhere between 10 and 25, pick your poison.

And what you said about moving /usr/games makes me cringe... NEVER EVER MOVE SYSTEM FOLDERS AROUND! Seriously... Try moving c:\Windows\Fonts to another place and reboot or log out and back in, just to see the calamity even that might bring (or even the Documents and Settings directory - oops, where did my pictures go?). This kind of thing goes beyond playing with fire. Not too long ago I found a post by someone on the Ubuntu forums who'd deleted /usr/bin/bash... Am I overreacting? Meh, let's just say that I've done my share of mistakes in the past. If you need to mess with system components, something is wrong, no matter what OS you use, and merely moving files around is only going to make things worse in the end. Much worse. :arrow: B, now!

[Edit] Ah, I didn't read Kilz post to the end. Well, that MIGHT work. Not the best solution, but you might as well try that first. I'm a bit worried about package updates, though, and where new games will go...
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilz »

Silent Warrior wrote: [Edit] Ah, I didn't read Kilz post to the end. Well, that MIGHT work. Not the best solution, but you might as well try that first. I'm a bit worried about package updates, though, and where new games will go...
with a symlink everything should work good. While the folder will be in the home directory. The symlink will act as the folder and accept files, only they will go in the folder in your home directory.
I use a media partition, a 2 gb swap,and I have two 40 gb partitions for distros on a 1tb drive. When I upgrade to a new version of a distro I install it to the older partition. That way I have a working setup if something goes wrong. I have my documents, templates, pics, video, and music on the media partition. Then I delete all of those folders from home the folders once I install a new version and symlink in the folders from media. The links act just like folders only store the files on the media partition.
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered

Return to “Newbie Questions”