Uninstall windows from linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gabo

Uninstall windows from linux

Post by gabo »

Hi all,

Ive been an ubuntu user for about 6 months and just recently made change to mint. I use dual boot but i havent been using windows since then, so what i wanted to know was if there was a way to uninstall windows without having to install mint again.

thank you and sorry if there are spelling errors, English is not my native language.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Uninstall windows from linux

Post by xenopeek »

First, did you install Linux Mint after booting from the Live CD/DVD/USB stick, or did you install it in Windows using mint4win? For the latter it gets rather complex, but can be done without reinstall.

If you installed Linux Mint from the first method, the easiest way is to start your computer again from the Live CD/DVD/USB stick with which you installed it (or download a new one), and start GParted from that (find it in the menu). With GParted you can delete the Windows partitions, and resize the Linux partitions so as to use the disk space that just became available.

*WARNING* Because this changes the partition numbering, it may be that GRUB can't find its configuration files after you reboot because the Linux Mint root partition is now known under a different number. So before you do *ANY* of the above, check from the Live CD/DVD/USB stick that you have internet access. Then if you run into this problem, boot again from the Live CD/DVD/USB stick, install Boot Repair onto it and run that to reinstall GRUB to /dev/sda (the MBR) and configure it to boot Linux Mint by default. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot- ... _in_Ubuntu
gabo

Re: Uninstall windows from linux

Post by gabo »

Wow thanks for the quick answer, I installed mint from the Live DVD, so ill do what you said,
Thankyou again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”