How To: Recover "usb-creator" packages for Mint 8 LiveCD ???

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

How To: Recover "usb-creator" packages for Mint 8 LiveCD ???

Post by Webtest »

Esteemed Forum Participants and Lurkers:
===============================
Mint 8 (Helena) Gnome LiveCD running from locked SD card

I'm trying to set up a local system install of usb-creator-gtk for my legacy Mint 8 (Helena) Gnome LiveCD system so that I can create boot flash drives without having to have access to the internet/repository. It is difficult because the repository is no longer available for Mint 8, and I wasn't enlightened enough then to save the required files. So, now when I try to apt-get install usb-creator (which DID work fine some time ago!) it fails to find and install 3 package files:

usb-creator-common_0.2.12_all.deb
usb-creator-gtk_0.2.12_all.deb
usb-creator_0.2.12_all.deb

A Google search finally got me to the following Ubuntu site pages with the three files:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/i38 ... mon/0.2.12
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/i38 ... gtk/0.2.12
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/i38 ... tor/0.2.12

I downloaded the files to my local drive and the following commands seemed to install the packages without any errors:

sudo dpkg -i /media/RECLAIMED/linux/usb-creator/usb-creator-common_0.2.12_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i /media/RECLAIMED/linux/usb-creator/usb-creator-gtk_0.2.12_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i /media/RECLAIMED/linux/usb-creator/usb-creator_0.2.12_all.deb

I then found the usb-creator item in the Gnome menu: "USB Startup Disk Creator", however running that only pops up an error dialog box:

An error occurred while talking to the DeviceKit-disks service.

Is there any way for a NEWBIE to recover a workable version of the usb-creator-gtk packages for a legacy Mint 8 LiveCD system ??? Thank you for any and all comments, suggestions, and assistance.

Blessings in abudance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle PA USA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
ThistleWeb

Re: How To: Recover "usb-creator" packages for Mint 8 LiveCD

Post by ThistleWeb »

Why Mint 8? It's no longer supported.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Support for Mint 8 has ended. The repository is down, so you won 't be able to install the dependencies of usb-creator (if it has any).

Please move to a newer Mint release.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

AlbertP wrote:Support for Mint 8 has ended. The repository is down, so you won 't be able to install the dependencies of usb-creator (if it has any).
Please move to a newer Mint release.
Aren't the dependencies addressed by using the appropriate package(s) versions with respect to the OS version? As I mentioned, the Package Manager for Mint 8 tried to install:

usb-creator-common_0.2.12_all.deb
usb-creator-gtk_0.2.12_all.deb
usb-creator_0.2.12_all.deb

These are the versions that I found on the Ubuntu web site, but obviously something is different (the repository path for sure!), because I used "apt-get install" before, and it worked fine. The version for Mint 10 (Jullia/Ubuntu Maverick) is 0.2.25.3. So I used versions of the packages that supposedly resolve dependencies for Mint 8 ... am I overlooking something?

I mentioned that I unfortunately was too Newbie to realize that I ought to save the usb-create package files when they worked ... my bad/ignorance. I have learned that if I ever need to temporarily install any application into a LiveCD system, I need to download whatever package files are required and do the install locally. That way I can duplicate the install when my OS version succumbs to "legacy-itis".

Opinions are like noses ... everybody's got one! Here's mine:
Aside from the minor usb-creator problem, Mint 8 LiveCD works beautifully for me, so why should I go to all the trouble of upgrading and learning a new Mint version (there are too many crazy changes with every new version), at least until the developers have fixed the broken "Print Screen" function ("Print Screen" works on Mint 8)? Besides, I tried Mint 9 LiveCD and it did not work with my system. The only motivation for successfully trying Mint 10 was the DVD support. I am definitely not a victim of "Upgrade Fever" or hype.

Thank you for your various comments. I'm still hoping that someone might help me out understanding and resolving the error popup ... "An error occurred while talking to the DeviceKit-disks service".
Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

It's like saying "Windows 2000 works for me, I'm not interested in XP, Vista, 7 or 8". It may work fine, but nothing is being updated. Any new security flaw that's fixed, won't apply to you, your system won't be patched. Any new features or new apps won't be applied to you. Linux is more secure and stable by design than Windows, but I wouldn't be running ANY OS that wasn't supported with at least security updates.
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

ThistleWeb wrote:... nothing is being updated. Any new security flaw that's fixed, won't apply to you, your system won't be patched. ... I wouldn't be running ANY OS that wasn't supported with at least security updates.
That's why I run a strictly ROM based Linux system with NO writeable drives present. There is no way to infect the OS, and I reboot before any significant web transactions!

Thanks! Blessings ...
Art in Carlisle PA USA

Return to “Beginner Questions”