[SOLVED] Cannot load grub! :(

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
RedCell989
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Cannot load grub! :(

Post by RedCell989 »

I don't know what exactly happened but today when I rebooted I got a command line looking screen telling me "cannot find device (bunch of numbers and letters)" and wont load grub, and I cant seem to get a live cd to work either. I hooked up another HDD that had an old windows installation and thats how im on here now, but I need my mint! PLEASE HELP!
Last edited by RedCell989 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kilz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot load grub! :(

Post by Kilz »

How many hard drives did you have in the computer?
I trust Microsoft about as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat
Ubuntu is my past, it is no longer the place it once was, on its forums you are no longer free to voice your opinion.
64bit Linux Powered
RedCell989
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot load grub! :(

Post by RedCell989 »

I have 4 installed. I solved this though.. probably not in a technically sound fashion but its solved all the same. I simply made a small partition on the old drive i hooked up with windows, installed ubuntu on that drive which installed a new grub bootloader on dev/sda, and it found all operating systems on all drives and things are fixed. Thank you though!

Return to “Newbie Questions”