Forgotten Password Mint 11

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
VALinewbie

Forgotten Password Mint 11

Post by VALinewbie »

I'm sure this has been answered here a dozen times, and I'm sure you will point me to the interwebs, unfortunately I have looked and tried and tried, with no avail. I attempted to go the easy way, going through the grub, recovery mode, drop root shell, from there it told me i needed a password for maintnance... Didn't have that so went to the harder way init=/bin/bash/ and everytime i do that the kernal panics because it can't sync... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! I'm at my wits end I can't get into my computer at all at this point. Maybe i'm doing something wrong and easy fix, or maybe i'm going at it the wrong way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Screwdriver0815

Re: Forgotten Password Mint 11

Post by Screwdriver0815 »

so from what I understood: you forgot your userpassword?

then you go into the GRUB recovery mode. In there you are root (the super-user). In the terminal you just type

Code: Select all

passwd username newpassword
this means: you type "passwd" as it is written, but without the quotation marks, then your username (the name you use to log into your system) and "newpassword" means the new password, which you want to use in the future.
Then you hit enter and then you type

Code: Select all

init 6
followed by hitting enter again. This reboots the system and you should be able to use the new password which you gave yourself.

further read: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
VALinewbie

Post by VALinewbie »

The issue with that part is that it asks for a root password for maintnance or press ctrl+d. I don't know that password, so I can't go about the easyway that psychocats guides your through.
Screwdriver0815

Post by Screwdriver0815 »

then you need to boot into a Live CD and reset the root password

try this

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-res ... -password/

under "if you can´t use Grub"
laser_dick

Post by laser_dick »

solves "Authentication Token Manipulation Error" and root authentication in grub recovery menu.
press and hold shift key during boot will get to boot menu
choose "e" to edit, replace "ro quiet splash" with "single init=/bin/bash"
( or "rw init=/bin/bash" you can skip "mount -o remount, rw /")
press "ctrl+X"
at root "#" command prompt type "mount -o remount, rw /"
then type "passwd"
This will prompt you for "root" user password enter it twice, upon confirmation reboot
or if you know user change it here also
login as user "root" then goto terminal and change user password

this works in Mint 12

Return to “Beginner Questions”