Should I prefer 32bit or 64bit Mint?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pstein
Level 1
Level 1

Should I prefer 32bit or 64bit Mint?

Post by pstein »

I want to install and try out Mint.

Should I prefer 64bit over 32bit?

In other words: Are there enough applcations available for 64bit branch of Mint or is 64bit more experimental?

Sorry for this question: Can 32bit Mint programs run under 64bit Mint (similar to 32bit prgm. under 64bit Windows7)?

Peter

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Should I prefer 32bit or 64bit Mint?

Post by mank_in »

It's up to you. But if you have 4GB+ RAM , you must use 64bit .
This is a pdf about 32bit versus 64 bit : http://www.amd64.org/fileadmin/user_upl ... _Facts.pdf

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

64-bit is not experimental at all anymore.

Nearly all programs from the repository work on a 64-bit Mint system. You will automatically get the 64-bit version if there is one - and if there isn't one, for example for Google Earth and Wine - the 32-bit version is installed which also works on 64-bit Linux. The only exception being the experimental nVidia driver of Mint 10 & 11 which can't run 3D on 32-bit programs by default - this is fixed in Mint 12. And the official nVidia driver works fine, as well as ATI/AMD and Intel drivers.

For 32-bit programs from outside the repository, you need ia32-libs on Mint versions up to 11. On Mint 12 you need the :i386 version of the libraries on which the program depends. You can install those packages from the repository. You can also install Google Earth which depends on a lot of 32-bit stuff, enough to run most other 32-bit programs.

Flash used to have bad 64-bit support. But Mint 11 has a working 64-bit version of Flash 10; from Flash 11 on Adobe officially supports 64-bit on Linux.

Just use 64-bit if you don't have lack of RAM or any other problem with it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

pstein
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pstein »

Thank you:

@AlbertP: Are your comments applicable to ALL Linux distributions (e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS, Suse,...)
or do they refer only to Mint?

Peter

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

How the package management handles 32-bit stuff on 64-bit systems might be different on other distros. But at least for Ubuntu it should also work this way.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

bartbar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bartbar »

I just wanted to add my personal experience on the topic of 32 bit versus 64 bit.

I didn't realize until the day before yesterday that my computer, a second hand Dell Optiplex GX620 (2 Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz CPU's, 2GB RAM), is 64 bit capable. (I noticed it in the BIOS). I had Linux Mint 11 32 bit installed on it.

Yesterday I installed Linux Mint 11 64 bit instead, and it does work better and faster for my computer. For instance, just a few days ago, on my 32 bit install, my son watched this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lck3ghbjHws full screen and it was all jerky. Now, on my 64 bit install, it's perfectly smooth!

I also notice that the desktop and programs respond faster, snappier.

So for me 64 bit was definitely a good choice.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

I am not suggesting for a moment that it is equivalent or even desirable to do this but the Mint / Ubuntu ( at least ) installer will automatically detect the amount of ram you have and install the 32-bit PAE kernel automatically giving you access to 64 GB of RAM.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

hefff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hefff »

yep its for all distros, go for 64bit if u got enough ram(4GB). I think its not issue at all for linux systems they support it from decade, only win can give u some problems.

badguy_goodguy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by badguy_goodguy »

It is working just fine for me, and i am having Intel CPU T4500. (dual core at 2,.3 Ghz)

Return to “Newbie Questions”