adding icons to the desktop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hotshot247
Level 1
Level 1

adding icons to the desktop

Post by hotshot247 »

i'm not new to linux, i've been using ubuntu for about 3-4 years now since ubuntu 8.04 but i'm new to linux mint 12 and what i was wanting to know is how do i add icons to the desktop? linux mint 12 is a little different than what i'm used to but i love it and don't want to change and this problem is so simple yet i don't know how to do it. lol can somebody help me? thanks!

gimcrack
Level 1
Level 1

Re: adding icons to the desktop

Post by gimcrack »

Drag and Drop. Open Menu - hold left mouse button over the app that you want to appear on your Desktop. Drag to the Desktop.

hotshot247
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hotshot247 »

that's the first thing i tried and linux mint 12 is different from 11 because it uses the gnome shell desktop and it's a little different.

lwrver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lwrver »

I noticed that "right-click>add-to-desktop/panel" options are also missing. Maybe these functions are to be part of MATE, which I haven't been able to find yet.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I may be doing it the "hard" way, but I just log out of GNOME, log into "Gnome Classic", put the icons I want on the desktop, log back out and back into GNOME (gnome-shell), and there they are.
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

Ajc
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ajc »

doesn't work for me ...

I'm running it virtually at the moment ... and holding the left mouse button and dragging to the desktop doesn't do anything ??

any help appreciated ...

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

Needs to be set up in Advanced Settings for Nautilus to handle the desktop.
If you had access to copy the launcher, you could also place it in ~/Desktop

hotshot247
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hotshot247 »

proxima_centauri wrote:Needs to be set up in Advanced Settings for Nautilus to handle the desktop.
If you had access to copy the launcher, you could also place it in ~/Desktop
i've already set it to handle the desktop..the only way i can think of to add a desktop icon is write a shell script and point it to the location of the file. i can do it but it is not very user friendly for somebody who just wants it to work like windows.

Daboo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daboo »

tdockery97 wrote:I may be doing it the "hard" way, but I just log out of GNOME, log into "Gnome Classic", put the icons I want on the desktop, log back out and back into GNOME (gnome-shell), and there they are.
This must be a "feature", right? :lol: Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :)

Chris

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

See this guide: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813

You don't have to take the MATE detour.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lantesh »

bimsebasse wrote:See this guide: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813

You don't have to take the MATE detour.
Thanks for the link. There are a lot of great tips in that thread.

seppalta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by seppalta »

A "gutter" procedure that works in LXDE is to simply copy (as root) the apps desktop file usually found in /usr/share/applications to the desktop directory and make it executable by right clicking and checking "make executable". Might be too simple to work in the fancy desktops.

tarunkant
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tarunkant »

A simple was is this:
1. Install Cairo-dock. I would advice that the Bottom Panel Extension be turned off to enjoy Cairo-dock, and to make it completely visible.
2. Click on Application Menu on Cairo-dock (the first icon on the left on the dock), reach for the application for which you want the icon on desktop. And the simply drag it out. Bingo !

Good luck
-Tarun

P.S. Cairo-dock actually makes your desktop icons redundant. But then, it is your personal choice. If you prefer icons on desktop, perfectly fine. I personally found that Cairo-dock is such a nice, customizable and an addictive dock, that I tend to use it more often than my desktop icons.

Return to “Newbie Questions”