replacing 3.xx kernel with 2.xx(SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

replacing 3.xx kernel with 2.xx(SOLVED)

Post by podagee »

i seen it somewhere on the forums about replacing the 3.xx kernel with a 2.xx kernel.also seen it on the blog.but im wondering if there was any success in doing so.im noticing that the 3.0 kernel is really laggy on my laptop and i am not liking it at all.mint 12 is fine im thinking its the kernel.ive read that its pretty much made for desktops and not laptops.the 2.xx kernel is a lot more friendlier in my case.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
podagee

Re: replacing 3.xx kernel with 2.xx

Post by podagee »

found this:http://askubuntu.com/questions/71139/ho ... l-on-11-10
now another question.does this mean that i will no longer be able to update oneiric/mint12 in this case?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I downgraded to the 2.6.39.3 kernel because it runs much smoother and cooler. I have no issues whatsoever with updates since it is an oneiric kernel. I don't know what would occur if you went with a natty kernel but this one is much better for me. I believe the 3.3 kernel is supposed to have the power regression fix so I'll check that one out when it is available. This is the link I use for kernels:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nel+how+to

Robin
podagee

Post by podagee »

im running gnome 3 and am wondering how it will hold up with a lower kernel.i tried natty with gnome shell and it slowed it down majorly.only one way to find out.giving it a go
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

podagee wrote:im running gnome 3 and am wondering how it will hold up with a lower kernel.i tried natty with gnome shell and it slowed it down majorly.only one way to find out.giving it a go

I am also running gnome 3 and have had no issues whatsoever. This kernel drops my temps 12 degrees. :wink:
podagee

Post by podagee »

i did everything it said and im still on 3.2.1?
podagee

Post by podagee »

rub em cause no work it has red x's on the kernel files.how do i remove them?completely off my computer
podagee

Post by podagee »

didnt work so now i erased some stuff and i got extra stuff that came with it and some has red x's which are useles but now i dont really know what to erase.thanks for the misguidance from whoever wrote that tutorial.tutorials are supposed to be clear not missing info.whatever last time i follow a tut from these forums.
podagee

Post by podagee »

okay i didnt know it was supposed to be ran from the grub menu.whoever wrote that tut needs to be clear on how to do things.whatevers though its deleted dont need it.
z06gal

Re: replacing 3.xx kernel with 2.xx(SOLVED)

Post by z06gal »

When I first installed the kernel and ran sudo update-grub, I rebooted. When the grub menu came up, I scrolled down to "Previous Linux Version" and the 2.6.39.3 kernel was listed there. After booting from that, I edited my grub menu so that I automatically boot from that kernel.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I don't think it will be too much longer before we get the stable kernel with patch included:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... etite.html
podagee

Post by podagee »

how do you make it autoboot?
podagee

Post by podagee »

in boot/grub/grub.cfg
do i set the timer for -1 or 0?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

podagee wrote:in boot/grub/grub.cfg
do i set the timer for -1 or 0?

I edited my /etc/default/grub. When you run sudo gedit /etc/default/grub and put your password in, change

GRUB_DEFAULT=0

to look like this

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved

hit enter and add this line right underneath

GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

click save and then update your grub. This is a good site for grub that all this info is on about half way down the page under /etc/default/grub

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
podagee

Post by podagee »

i rebooted holding shift, went to previous linux versions and selected lower kernel.
then i used gksu nautilus and erased all 3.0 kernel files
did a sudo update-grub then rebooted.
now it automatically boots in 2.6.xx kernel
thanks
m.png
podagee

Post by podagee »

also in system monitor i went to resources in seen a dramatic change in cpu and ram usage.its way lower than it is in the 3.xx kernel version.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Outstanding! I'm glad you got it going. You'll probably find this kernel much better on your laptop where heat is concerned. :wink:
podagee

Post by podagee »

its way lighter as ive said,not too heavy only issue is the boot,but,that i can deal with.thanks a lot

Return to “Beginner Questions”