{SOLVED} need help please, system freezing at logon screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

{SOLVED} need help please, system freezing at logon screen

Post by truexfan81 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 am

ok i guess i need to do some type of purge, the last thing i did b4 this this started was added this ppa

http://linuxrandomly.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -mint.html

i had not yet followed the instructions to update the kernel, but some upgrades appeared, they were all level 3, xorg related, i booted into mint 12RC to see which kernel version it was running, when i booted back to mint 9, it froze at the logon screen.

mint 9 main x64, still running default kernel

ctrl+alt+backspace does nothing

ctrl+alt+ F-keys does nothing

ctrl+alt+delete also does nothing, only way to make it move is to hit the reset button

any help would be greatly appreciated, i just hope it can be fixed with a purge, not not have to start over

thanks
Last edited by truexfan81 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Re: need help please, system freezing at logon screen

Post by truexfan81 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 am

update:

ok by choosing recovery mode from grub, then telling it to boot normally it will allow me to type in my user-name and password to give me access to the system using the shell. gives me a better shot at fixing it with some help from you all.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by truexfan81 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:07 pm

anyone have any suggestions? do i need to provide more info?

when i started the process i had the nvidia 290 driver installed.

did a ppa-purge to get rid of all the xorg-edgers stuff, however i am still stuck, tried removing and reinstalling the nvidia 290 driver, still stuck, there has to be a way to make this boot up again. until then i'm accessing my files, etc from my mint12 that i have installed on another drive. i have to admit, gnome shell is starting to grow on me. :mrgreen:

anyway back to the mint 9 problem: from the shell, if i type gdm i get a message that says something along the lines of cannot find /dev/nvidia-* after showing that it goes to the logon screen and freezes up

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Post by truexfan81 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:02 am

update: well incase no one is able to help me, i am backing up my home folder to another hdd, preparing to format and start over. Will do it smarter this time and just give mint 9 a 20GB partition, make a 1GB swap (have 4GB ram) and the other 479GB will be a /home partition. but 375GB of data, its estimating about 6 hours. If someone can suggest a possible fix for the other problem in that amount of time, i will be happy to try it.

truexfan81
Level 3
Level 3

Re: {SOLVED} need help please, system freezing at logon scre

Post by truexfan81 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:34 pm

problem solved with a format and redo, now just have to finish reinstalling a few apps like pithos for example :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”