Linux Mint 12 does not reatart or shutdown

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hewjr1000
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 12 does not reatart or shutdown

Post by hewjr1000 »

Anyone having this issue? I can restart and shutdown when I first boot up, usually the first 10-15 minutes. After prolonged use, let's say 30 minutes or longer when I try to restart or shutdown the system freezes, then I must shutdown manually.

Henry
HP Pavillion 15-bc220nr
12 GB Ram 1TB HDD.
7th Gen. Intel i5 2.5 Ghz Quad Core.
Nvidia Gtx 1050 Graphics 4 GB Memory.

ramartz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 12 does not reatart or shutdown

Post by ramartz »

I got the same issue, but its somehow intermittent til now I don't know what's causing it.
Anyone got an idea how to fix it? Thanks.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Do you have your system fully updated?

pevamo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pevamo »

I also have installed release 12 of Mint and had the same problems. A normal shutdown was not possible.
I have also tried Ubuntu 11.10 and Kubuntu 11.10 (wich is the underlaying OS for Mint) and have the same problems. No shutdown was possible.

I have returned to release 11 and hope that there will a solution soon.

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

pevamo wrote:I also have installed release 12 of Mint and had the same problems. A normal shutdown was not possible.
Didn't even "shutdown -h now" work?

ramartz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ramartz »

nunol wrote:
pevamo wrote:I also have installed release 12 of Mint and had the same problems. A normal shutdown was not possible.
Didn't even "shutdown -h now" work?
In my case, I was able to reboot and shutdown via terminal... I'm not sure with other guys.
Anyway, probably there's some issue going when the command was passed on to gnome.

I've notice also that when this scenario happens, my laptop fan is blowing on full speed like crazy.
Do you guys experience the same?

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You could try some boot options to see if one solves the problem: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootO ... el_Options

ramartz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ramartz »

nunol wrote:You could try some boot options to see if one solves the problem: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootO ... el_Options
Thanks for the reference. It somehow fixed the issue after several shutdown and reboots, the problem never came back. :D
What I did was just fixed the Grub using the Boot Repair utility. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Return to “Newbie Questions”