AMD Catalyst Control Center Not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
neonapster

AMD Catalyst Control Center Not working

Post by neonapster »

Hi All.

I use an HP Pavilion dm4, 64-bit system. I downloaded and installed the 64-bit version of LM12. After the first boot, "Additional Drivers" prompt came up. I installed the ATI Driver (not the post release update). It asked for a reboot. I did reboot the system. The Driver now shows Green and Active. When I go into Other > AMD Catalyst Control Center, I get an error message as follows:

Code: Select all

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition.  It could be caused by the following.

No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly.
Please install the AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware, or configure using aticonfig.
I tried using aticonfig in terminal. It gave me many paragraphs of help which did not make any sense to me.

Please help in fixing this issue. My system runs with dual graphics cards > Intel inbuilt and ATI graphics cards. In Win 7, it used to switch between both according to the power settings. I'm trying to do the same here too.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
artouk

Re: AMD Catalyst Control Center Not working

Post by artouk »

Download and install the drivers from the ATI, works for me except catylst control centre seems to crash when I try to select a multidisplay desktop.
neonapster

Post by neonapster »

I will update the result once I do this.
neonapster

Post by neonapster »

I tried downloading and installing the driver from ATI site. It caused my system not to boot at all. It hung at the place where it says "iwlang loading". Since I'm a newbie, the best way I could restore was to re-install LM. Is there any one out there who had any success in installing ATI driver with an Intel and ATI dual graphics card setup??
aucky

Post by aucky »

when it promted you to install additional driver if you installed them you have to remove them before installing latest cat centre,the problem i had was the driver linx installed didnt work made the fonts disappear,so removed them and installed latest editon from amd's site and everything works now apart from dual monitors,i can only get them to mirror which to me is completly pointless on a desktop pc.The more i read about this it sounds like ati n linux set up isnt good for dual monitors,sounds like nvidia is better for it,bad for me as i'v only had my ATI HD5800 card a month.

Return to “Beginner Questions”