Disabling Recently Used Files in Mint 12

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
majingrim
Level 1
Level 1

Disabling Recently Used Files in Mint 12

Post by majingrim »

This is probably a really simple one, but I've searched around, and tried everything I can think of, but I cannot find anywhere to easily clear or disable the recently used files list in Linux Mint 12. In previous versions, it was easy enough to clear by pressing Alt+F1, then going to places, and clear recent files list. This doesn't seem to exist anywhere in Mint 12. I would really like to disable the recently used files list completely, but having a simple way to clear it would be good enough.

It may seem like a non-issue, but I use TrueCrypt to encrypt my work data, and when I select my keyfiles for decryption, it saves them to the recently used files list. Obviously this is a security risk, as anyone accessing the computer could easily see what they are.

Thanks to anyone can help, hopefully there is a simple solution to this. :)
Fastraxx
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Disabling Recently Used Files in Mint 12

Post by Fastraxx »

Code: Select all

sudo chattr +i ~/.local/share/recently-used.xbel
conslie
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Disabling Recently Used Files in Mint 12

Post by conslie »

I think you will find the GUI tool called Activity Log Manager will do what you want. See the instructions on how to install and use it at http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/keep-fil ... unity.html.

Instructions there are for unity, not Mint's Gnome 3 shell, and leave one unmet dependency in Mint. That can be fixed easily by installing python-zeigeist first.

Read through the site to see if it works as you need, but I believe the following should get it running:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zeitgeist/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-zeigeist 
sudo apt-get install activity-log-manager
The program did not appear on my Home page, but it did show up in the Mint Menu under Accessories as well as in the Gnome 3 Shell Applications display.

Return to “Newbie Questions”