SOLVED Add shortcut to desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED Add shortcut to desktop

Post by appalbarry »

Just installed Mint 12. One small issue - I can't add shortcuts to the desktop.

I read somewhere to right click the menu item that I want to add to the desktop - which seems reasonable.

But when I click the menu button, find the item I want, and right click it, nothing happens. No right-click menu appears.

ideas??

Barry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintyNoob

Re: Add shortcut to desktop

Post by MintyNoob »

I have the same issue. Surely we're just missing something simple. I'll reply if I figure it out.

Cheers!
Mark
MintyNoob

Post by MintyNoob »

I figured out a work around (searching through the forums).

When you log onto the computer, click on the gear icon to the right of your username, and select MATE instead of GNOME.

From MATE you can right click on things and create a desktop icon, then log off, log back into GNOME and the shortcuts will be there.

Why you can't just do that in Gnome, I have no clue, but this works at least for now.

Mark
mank_in

Post by mank_in »

You can not add shortcut on desktop because GNOME3 developer thinking all gnome user no need shortcut on their desktop :lol:
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

mank_in wrote:You can not add shortcut on desktop because GNOME3 developer thinking all gnome user no need shortcut on their desktop :lol:
Simple is beautiful ... they think .. :lol:

For the usable system you can install MATE .. :wink:
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Post by appalbarry »

Well, it works in MATE, and Gnome Classic. How odd....

Return to “Beginner Questions”