How to make the terminal autostart at startup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
makecoldplayhistory

How to make the terminal autostart at startup

Post by makecoldplayhistory »

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to any kind of Linux distro and am trying to get the terminal to run at start up.

I've got the start up application preferences and click add. I realise that the command box needs to be filled with the location of the software - I guess that if I was doing it for a Windows machine, I'd look for the .exe file in c:\program files...

In this case, the command, from what I understand, is the location of the software.

I can seem to find the terminal anywhere though. What is the command I need to add?

Thanks a lot
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: How to make the terminal autostart at startup

Post by DataMan »

Try inserting

Code: Select all

gnome-terminal
into a new entry for your startup applications (found in the Control Center).

Of course, restart to test it out... :lol:

-DataMan
makecoldplayhistory

thanks a lot.

worked perfectly :)
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Glad to hear it.

As a hint for future reference, to find out the command associated with a specific app, go into the Mint Menu , single right click on the app in question. View the properties and you will find the command for the running the application (of course it has to be part of the Mint Menu).

-DataMan
Anakinholland

Post by Anakinholland »

Not trying to intrude on anything, as gnome-terminal is great to work with, but maybe you would like to check out guake.

It's a process that will always run in the background and is accessable by merely pressing F12 (default, can be changed) and be done with it pressing the same key :)

Using it for quite a while now, and the only downside is that it has issues with vi, since its dimensions are fully dynamic, so vi doesn't know what to display where. You will have to add it to Applications that start at boot, but you only need to tick a box,

It's in the repos, so you can install it by using this command:

sudo apt-get install guake
Regards,

Anakin
makecoldplayhistory

Anakinholland wrote:Not trying to intrude on anything, as gnome-terminal is great to work with, but maybe you would like to check out guake.

It's a process that will always run in the background and is accessable by merely pressing F12 (default, can be changed) and be done with it pressing the same key :)

Using it for quite a while now, and the only downside is that it has issues with vi, since its dimensions are fully dynamic, so vi doesn't know what to display where. You will have to add it to Applications that start at boot, but you only need to tick a box,

It's in the repos, so you can install it by using this command:

sudo apt-get install guake
Regards,

Anakin
Thanks a lot.

I've now stopped the terminal running at startup... guake looks great.

Return to “Beginner Questions”