Mint 12 guest, VMPlayer 4.01 on Win7, software rasterizer

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sbrown23
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 12 guest, VMPlayer 4.01 on Win7, software rasterizer

Post by sbrown23 »

I installed Linux Mint 12 64-bit as a guest in VMWare Player 4.01 on a Windows 7 64-bit host. For some reason I only am able to get the Software Rasterizer, and the system doesn't seem to have 3D accelerated graphics enabled. Host hardware is Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400, 6GB RAM, ATI Radeon 4670 w/ latest drivers. Allocated 2 vCPUs and 2GB RAM to the VM. In the VM Settings I have Accelerate 3D Graphics enabled. When the install was completed, I ran the updater and let the 213 updates that were available install. Then I installed the latest VMWare Tools. I didn't enable the VMWare automatic kernels, as it said it's experimental. When the Tools installer got the the video part, I saw this:

Code: Select all

Detected X server version 1.10.4

Distribution provided drivers for Xorg X server are used.

Skipping X configuration because X drivers are not included.
When I look in System Settings -> Displays, the display appears to be unknown. Under System Info -> Graphics the Driver shows Software Rasterizer and Experience is Fallback. So I did a bunch of searches, and found suggestions to run inxi -Gx, which outputs:

Graphics:  Card: VMware SVGA II Adapter bus-ID: 00:0f.0 
           X.Org 1.10.4 drivers vmware unloaded: vesa,fbdev Resolution 1680x1050@0.0hz 
           GLX Renderer Rasterizer GLX Version 2.1 Mesa 7.11 Direct Rendering Yes
Finally, I also ran compiz-check which outputs the following:

Gathering information about your system...

Distribution:          Linux Mint 
 Desktop environment:   GNOME
 Graphics chip:         VMware SVGA II Adapter
 Driver in use:         vmware
 Rendering method:      AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...

Checking for texture_from_pixmap...               [ OK ]
 Checking for non power of two support...          [ OK ]
 Checking for composite extension...               [ OK ]
 Checking for FBConfig...                          [ OK ]
 Checking for hardware/setup problems...           [FAIL]

There has been (at least) one error detected with your setup:
 Error: Software Rasterizer in use 
Under Advanced Settings -> Theme, Shell Theme shows a "!" and Could not list shell extensions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Clintre
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 12 guest, VMPlayer 4.01 on Win7, software rasterize

Post by Clintre »

I am getting the same thing. I get the "classic" look and can no longer get any Shell Extensions at all.

I go to Advance Settings and click on Shell Extensions and none are listed.
I go to Advance Setting and click on Theme and and by Shell Theme there is a orange triangle and if I put my mouse over it I get the "could not list shell extensions".

Have not been able to find a fix.

gymark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gymark »

Same thing here, only the graphics card is Nvidia Quadro FX 880M. I *guess* it must have something to do with VMPlayer 4.0.1. Any ideas?

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder »

sbrown23 wrote:VMWare Player 4.01 on a Windows 7 64-bit host
You should probably be asking for support with vmware products on their support forum.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

sbrown23
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sbrown23 »

remoulder wrote:
sbrown23 wrote:VMWare Player 4.01 on a Windows 7 64-bit host
You should probably be asking for support with vmware products on their support forum.
I was trying to find out if other Mint users have experienced this when running under VMWare (and/or other virtualization products), and if there were any suggestions for dealing with it. If it's common, and the issue lies with the VMWare graphics driver, then I'll certainly go to their forum. However, I thought there might be an issue with how I currently have Mint configured that someone might be able to help with.

I am a relative n00b with Linux distributions, hence why I am here.

mmindenhall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmindenhall »

FYI...same discussion going on here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 86&start=0

mmindenhall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mmindenhall »

VMware has announced experimental 3D acceleration support, but there have been problems reported getting it to work with LM12. If anyone gets this to work, please post instructions in these forums.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/343121

Return to “Newbie Questions”