Seeking some advice

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PiMinto

Seeking some advice

Post by PiMinto »

Good day everyone,

About 2 months ago my XP machine crapped out and got stuck in a boot loop. This was the final nudge I needed, after considerable time of considering investigating linux (i.e. procrastinating). I checked out ubuntu, but the livecd wouldn't boot. I checked out Fedora 15, and quite liked it. Checked out knoppix, wasn't really impressed. However I had re-installed only XP on the machine while investigating linux options and was planning further investigation (I was not even aware of the Mint distro until about a week ago) when about 2 weeks ago my XP machine crapped out again, another format and install required as before, and I decided to commit to linux and went ahead with Fedora 16 (as that had come out in the interim).

I attempted to install as dual-boot, but unfortunately that hasn't worked out - Fedora works fine but XP refuses to load from grub2. At this point my options seem to be between a re-install of both XP and Fedora, or put XP on a virtual install within Fedora - and I'm leaning towards that.

That leaves me a 60gb partition free... I'd like to freshen it up, I think something minty would do nicely.

My question at this point is - would you (honestly) recommend Mint 12 over 11?

Thanks for your time (and expect to see me in the installation & boot forum soon ;) )
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Seeking some advice

Post by proxima_centauri »

Best way to figure out is what you like. Try both the Linux Mint 11 and Linux Mint 12 LiveCD out; or you can mimic an installation with Virtualbox.
Katyanewb

Post by Katyanewb »

What proxima said. Very often the word "better" is subjective to an end user--less so to productivity users and developers.

I had some free logical partitions, so I dual installed Mint 12 after running Mint 11 for a while. Since then I've made a permanent switch to Mint 12. The Gnome 3 interface takes a bit of getting used to if you're comfortable with Gnome 2, but once you make the transition it's actually better (or I like it better).

On the technical side, Mint 11 had that stupid applet error where you'd get the system calling a display applet (such as the clock) before it was loaded. The problem wasn't solved before Mint 12 came out, and the only solution was to reboot. Mint 12 doesn't appear to have the same problem but does have an issue with dev/mapper/cryptswap1 being called before loading. That issue applies only if you encrypt your home folder and isn't fatal to my boot--it appears that the system just waits until the module is loaded. So you do get bugs with both Mint 11 and Mint 12. Your choice which set of bugs bothers you less.
gn2

Post by gn2 »

I would suggest trying Mint 9, I'm a self confessed LTS fan.
Michaeln
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Michaeln »

As a a complete nubie and MS User for many years I took the plunge at Mint 11. I had a few issues and then tried 12. Went back to 11 almost straight away, and now it is excellent. I am not dissing 12, it is just that I am a complete novice and am trying to begin to understand the system.

Bottom line for me is try both and then decide. For me, for the moment, 11 is fine and I have a stable setup running just fine now.

regards,

Michael

Return to “Beginner Questions”