[SOLVED] No sound in VLC in Mint 12

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexx

[SOLVED] No sound in VLC in Mint 12

Post by lexx »

I’m new to mint and just installed mint 12 64bit. But I’v been playing with Ubuntu for about a year.
Can’t get VLC to play sound. I’ve tried play mp3 and 3 or 4 different video formats. I’ve tried same files in other programs and they work fine. I’ve looked at the settings and tried changing the output modules which had no effect. I could have made a stupid misstake.
What should I try next?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lmike

Re: No sound in VLC in Mint 12

Post by lmike »

Try setting 'output module' to ALSA audio output in settings dialog under audio tab.
I also have set my output device.
crazybilly

Post by crazybilly »

I just gave that a go without much luck--still no sound. Bizarre. Not really sure how to troubleshoot it either.
Grozours

Post by Grozours »

I have exactly the same problem, and I don't think it comes from the config because, I copied the .config/vlc/vlcrc file from my working ubuntu system, and after ensuring the vlc configuration was updated, I still has no sound :cry:
mystic_v

Post by mystic_v »

Try this instead:
In the vlc audio settings,
Select UNIX OSS audio as the output and ex: /dev/dsp or whatever your sound device mount point is.
It solved the issue for me.
lexx

Post by lexx »

How do I find out what my mount point is.
BobSongs

Post by BobSongs »

System: Mint Linux 12 32-bit
(Audio Card = SoundBlaster 5.1 Live! Value) - List of software tweaks:

For VLC Media Player:
  • Tools
  • Preferences
  • Audio tab (left side)
  • under Output selected: ALSA audio output.
  • under Device selected: SB Live! 5.1 ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback (hw:2,0)
  • clicked Save
Started the sound file: worked perfectly. Note: None of the other soundcard options worked.

For Audacity:
  • Edit
  • Preferences
  • Host: ALSA
  • Playback: SB Live! 5.1 ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback (hw:2,0)
  • clicked OK
Started the sound file: worked perfectly.

For GNOME MPlayer:
  • Edit
  • Preferences
  • Player tab
  • Audio Output: SB Live! 5.1 (ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback) (alsa)
  • clicked Close
Started the sound file: worked perfectly. Note: Video didn't require any adjusting, worked immediately.

Now, I'd love to know how I can get sound going in Firefox (YouTube, Grooveshark... none of these work).

Interestingly, Movie Player (Totem) worked flawlessly out of the box.
cristigm

Post by cristigm »

I had the same problem. no sound with vlc.

I used software manager to search for "vlc" and I installed the plugins/packages that were audio-related (aka mentioned audio in the description :D )
Sorry but I can't single out the one that did the trick, because I installed them all.
You can try them one by one if you don't want to install them all.

Hope this helps you
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I had the same problem until I installed vlc-pulse plugin via synaptic :wink:
lexx

Post by lexx »

Thanks for the help cristigm and z06gal. I installed the vlc-plugin-pulse and it worked. :D
eddygordo2011

Re: [SOLVED] No sound in VLC in Mint 12

Post by eddygordo2011 »

Hello guys,

I had the same problem after installing Linux Mint 12 from fresh. I have uninstall VLC from Sotfware manager and then reinstall the same program from removed.
I am watching an AVI file without any problem.
I hope that will help you...
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

z06gal wrote:I had the same problem until I installed vlc-pulse plugin via synaptic :wink:
Such an odd issue. VLC worked just fine for me...until one day POOF audio go bye bye.

z06gal posted above about vlc pulse plugin... That did the trick.
My steps:
Open Software Manager
search VLC
click on VLC Pulse Plugin and 'install'

Alternatively if you like the command line (I usually do) you can do the following

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install vlc-plugin-pulse
Omaru

Post by Omaru »

Drake2k wrote:
z06gal wrote:I had the same problem until I installed vlc-pulse plugin via synaptic :wink:
Such an odd issue. VLC worked just fine for me...until one day POOF audio go bye bye.

z06gal posted above about vlc pulse plugin... That did the trick.
My steps:
Open Software Manager
search VLC
click on VLC Pulse Plugin and 'install'

Alternatively if you like the command line (I usually do) you can do the following

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install vlc-plugin-pulse

Thank you!!! :)

Sorry my English is not very good.
Same thing happened to me when upgrading to version 2.0 VLC ran out audio :( . Apply this solution from command line, but it did not work until I rebooted. Now it works perfect :D :D

40ozskills

Post by 40ozskills »

z06gal,

Thank you very much for your response, that plug in was just what I needed. I hated having to use banshee, I'm very glad to have my VLC back. Thanks again.
OrthoSteven

Post by OrthoSteven »

I had to take it one step further. I kept getting a segment violation after install the pulse audio option. It was not until I re-installed VLC that the sound finally worked.

Return to “Beginner Questions”