Shutdown

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Leonard304
Level 1
Level 1

Shutdown

Post by Leonard304 »

Mint 12 will not shutdown properly. When shutting down all I have to do is press space bar and computer boots up. Don't like this. I have tried several suggestions listed in the forum but none resolve the issue. How do I fix this? :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kabads

Re: Shutdown

Post by kabads »

When you say 'press space bar and computer boots up' do you mean that you get back to a desktop?

This sounds very strange. What method are you using to shutdown? Is it the usual top-right menu and clicking on the power down button?
Leonard304
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Leonard304 »

Yes I am going to the top right and choosing shutdown. Would there be a wake on function setting? If I touch the space bar and boot to the login screen I can completely shut down from there.
kabads

Post by kabads »

What version of Linuxmint is this? I've not heard of this before?
Leonard304
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Leonard304 »

Mint 12 64bit. When I use the spacebar it will boot to the login screen where you put your password in to get to the desktop.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Aren't you suspending the computer?

If it boots up when pressing spacebar and you aren't suspending or hibernating, Mint is not at fault. You should look into your BIOS settings in that case.
You might also need to set the PS2 power jumper on the motherboard from +5Vsb to +5V when the keyboard remains powered on.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Leonard304
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Leonard304 »

Thanks, will check BIOS this evening. Not sure about PS2 working because it is a usb keyboard.
Leonard304
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Leonard304 »

Checked the BIOS. The numlock setting was set to on and I changed it to off. Also was set to boot to usb device and I changed it to not to boot to usb device. Now it shuts down like it is suppose to. Not sure why changing these settings worked but problem solved. Thanks for all the help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”