buttons to left hand side?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mudog

buttons to left hand side?

Post by mudog »

how can i set my buttons to the top left like macs and I could do through gconf-editor in metacity in the past?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bimsebasse

Re: buttons to left hand side?

Post by bimsebasse »

If you use Mint 12 MGSE, see this thread
mudog

Post by mudog »

I appreciate the help and link but I am totally new to mint 12 I have a full install and regular booting. as posted in 2 other threads - I am totally confused as to the heck the mate and mgse are in what i am seeing and would like to see and use etc....

so I guess i cannot follow your button help with what I have and run and would like to run once I figure out more of what I see and like and see that I do not like and which one is which re: mate and mgse or whatever.

i could bet I am not the only one either that is lost or confused.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

MATE looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNEB-fXBhoc

MGSE (Mint 12 with Gnome default login session) looks like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yE3Z46QquU
mudog

Post by mudog »

ok when i ran it in live mode the dock on the left of msge was always on the desktop and i like that but upon install it is not there it can only be brought up by the cursor at top left. can I keep the msge dock on the left whatever it is called - the favorites to show all of the time?

thank you for your help.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

No - you can't work in the overview, it's meant as just an overview. You can add a dock to do what you want, though, I use Avant Window Navigator (installable from Software Manager). The favourites are also shown in the menu that pops up when you click the menu button.
mudog

Post by mudog »

so if i use the default 12 lisa can i still change the buttons to the left?

do you like awn better than cairo dock? I had many issues years ago with awn - did it get better? thank you so much for all of your help!
mudog

Post by mudog »

Ok buttons seemed to work and are now on the left - thank you so very much for your help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”