From Ubuntu to Mint...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Itchakilla

From Ubuntu to Mint...

Post by Itchakilla »

Hello fellows!

I'd like to give a chance to Mint, what's the easiest way to switch from Oneiric Ocelot (Ubuntu 11.10) to Lisa (Mint 12)? Do I have to download files and burn them on CD/DVD before running them, or is there another way(eg using terminal)?

Many thanks!! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Re: From Ubuntu to Mint...

Post by SiKing »

Download - Burn - Clean Install is always recommended. Anything else will be a hack of some sorts.
dwasifar

Post by dwasifar »

+1 on what SiKing said. Clean install is pretty much mandatory when switching distros.

However, if you are installing on a desktop system, and you have an extra hard drive, you can save yourself some time by swapping in that drive, installing to it, then booting with your original drive connected to the system too. The old drive will mount in /media and you can copy your stuff in from your old /home folder (and wherever else it might be) much more quickly than if you were to, say, back up to flash media, which takes comparatively ages.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

I hope you must be familier with Linux partitions

Go for manual partitions by selecting 'something else' :) enjoy Mint

Please update all the packages. Clem has released a lot of updates after releases, specially if you are considering using MATE.

Welcome to the Mint Community :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”