GUI to launch Jin on 'Lisa'

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldal

GUI to launch Jin on 'Lisa'

Post by oldal »

It is easy to launch Jin with Mint12 'Lisa' from CLI and it works well. Jin is a chess client for Free Chess Server, written in Java.

However, to get it from CLI it is necessary to open 'Terminal' and enter the pointer to the file 'jin' - a fairly slow process. It is surely possible to put an icon on the desktop, and d-clicking it invoke 'Jin', but how to do it with gnome3 desktop?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kabads

Re: GUI to launch Jin on 'Lisa'

Post by kabads »

I have my Desktop set to be handled as the ~/Desktop folder - so perhaps you could place a soft link from the binary to the Desktop

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/bin/jin ~/Desktop/jin
might do it (I have no idea where jin is, so this is theoretical.
oldal

Post by oldal »

kabads wrote:I have my Desktop set to be handled as the ~/Desktop folder - so perhaps you could place a soft link from the binary to the Desktop

ln -s /usr/bin/jin ~/Desktop/jin
might do it (I have no idea where jin is, so this is theoretical.
I think it should be possible to place an icon on the desktop such that a d-click on it would launch the program. Incidentally, on my system in CLI the following entry launches the program 'Jin':

/np1/Documents/chess/jin-2.14.1/jin 
The directory 'Documents' is mounted on '/np1' and is shared between several Linux distros that are installed on my system,

Thanks for having a go at the solution of this query. I think it is simply my total lack of familiarity with the Mint12/gnome3 method of organizing the desktop and a read-up is indicated. What is a good place to read instructions about Mint12/gnome3 desktop?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can make a symlink to your home folder as well with the ls command, so that you can use 'jin' instead of '/ns2/Documents/...'.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
oldal

Post by oldal »

AlbertP wrote:You can make a symlink to your home folder as well with the ls command, so that you can use 'jin' instead of '/ns2/Documents/...'.
Sure. However, it surely is possible to launch a program from GUI, or is it? (It is so easy in kubuntu... You just right-click on the desktop and create a link-to-application. I can not believe that something similar is not possible in such fine distribution as Mint!)

Thanks for your effort!
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Here's a how-to on creating desktop icons: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/11/cre ... ic-ocelot/
It's about Unity but should work as well on Mint 12's Gnome 3.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
oldal

Post by oldal »

AlbertP wrote:Here's a how-to on creating desktop icons: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/11/cre ... ic-ocelot/
Hi, AlbertP!

Your post brings the solution much, much closer. The following is a dialog that follows the two steps in the reference:

xx@yy ~ $ sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel
[sudo] password for xx: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
gnome-panel is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 265 not upgraded.
xx@yy ~ $ gnome-desktop-item-edit  --create-new  ~Desktop
gnome-desktop-item-edit: file:///home/xx/~Desktop does not have a .desktop or .directory suffix
xx@yy ~ $ 
The above dialog is a faithful copy of activity on terminal with user name and computer changed to xx and yy respectively. It seems to me that it is necessary to create a Desktop.desktop or Desktop.directory, probably in my /home/xx directory. Can you supplement my guess work?

Thank you for bringing the solution very close to completion. It is strange that such a basic GUI function (of enabling gui access to a program) is not readily available on the family of the "improved" desktops. It would indeed be useful to be able to reach the [SOLVED] state in this thread - not only to me, but many other users!
oldal

Re: [SOLVED] GUI to launch Jin on 'Lisa'

Post by oldal »

AlbertP wrote:Here's a how-to on creating desktop icons: http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/11/cre ... ic-ocelot/
Hi AlbertP et. al!
I took the punt and created a Desktop.desktop directory with the following command:

mkdir Desktop.desctop 
I now have a 'Jin' icon on my desktop and can start a chess game by clicking the icon, then logging into Free Chess Server. So, Albert, your help has solved the create-shortcuts-icons problem! +1 to your post!

Thank you!

Return to “Beginner Questions”