damaged update manager on Lisa

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yozsa

damaged update manager on Lisa

Post by yozsa »

Hi guys,

This is my first Linux OS because I am fed up with noncompatibility from iOS and virus vulnerability from Win/ so I installed Ubuntu Lisa, I tried to install Adobe Creative Suite with teh following instructions http://www.sucka.net/2009/08/installing ... 4-in-wine/ which I altered a litlle bit (instead of ubuntu jaunty) I wrote lisa and from then my update manager does not work he is constantly saying
E: Type 'dept' is not known on line 11 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: Unable to lock the list directory

E: Type 'dept' is not known on line 11 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
E: The list of sources could not be read.
Go to the repository dialog to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR
E:Type 'dept' is not known on line 11 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list

Sorry I am maybe new in this and I am not a programmer so it is obvious that I have done something very stupid, could you please help me. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kabads

Re: damaged update manager on Lisa

Post by kabads »

Welcome to the linux community. Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of your problem and get it sorted.

Dept is a strange thing to have in your apt/sources.list file - normally things begin with deb. You need to check that you entered exactly what was on that page. You can delete the entry through Menu -> System Tools -> System Settings -> Software sources -> Other software

If that doesn't work, you will need to edit the sources.list file by hand. The best was to do this would be to open a terminal, type

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and then find the dept entry - delete that and then start back at the point where you are entering the repository.

HTH.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

August 2009 is a long time ago in Linux Time, I'd try finding a more updated guide. Always filter google searches to "past year" only when looking for installation guides myself,
yozsa

Post by yozsa »

Thank you very much guys ;))) :wink: :wink: :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”