Installing over Ubuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
orange_roughy
Level 1
Level 1

Installing over Ubuntu

Post by orange_roughy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:49 am

Hi,

I have Ubuntu 10.10 installed. I want to replace it with Linux Mint 12. But I don't want to lose my user files/documents. Is there a way to keep those? Will I lose them if I install Mint?

thanks,
orange_roughy

Cygnis1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing over Ubuntu

Post by Cygnis1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:23 pm

First, be sure to back up any files that you wish to protect. Then in the installation dialog is the option to replace Ubuntu and keep your files. I did this and haven't lost any of my settings or files. I hope this helps.
Good luck,
Cygnis1

orange_roughy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by orange_roughy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 pm

great, thanks!

kabads
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kabads » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:47 pm

I also replaced ubuntu with linux mint 12 and everything went seamlessly - I was very impressed with the installation process - it picked up my partitions and only overwrote those directories that needed it.

Sopwith_Camel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sopwith_Camel » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:01 pm

Didn't work out for me when moving from Ubuntu 11.10 to MInt 12, unfortunately - lost sound and touchpad functions for starters, and it made a bit of a mess of things overall. (Very few issues with subsequent clean install of Mint 12.)

Obviously not a universal experience, though, so definitely worth backing up and then giving it a shot! Hope it works for you. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”