<SOLVED> USB flash drives, cant manage them

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tdrane
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> USB flash drives, cant manage them

Post by tdrane » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Have looked through the forums, and cant find anything.

Using LM 11 on a Sony VAIO VGN-NR220E, and when I insert a Sandisk Cruzer 4 gig, I can only drag and drop from it, I cant
delete, format, or otherwise use it.

Am I missing a driver set? I am not knowledgeable in the scripting part, so please, be gentle.

By the way, I have no other issue with anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by tdrane on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

whamington
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Problem booting from flash drive

Post by whamington » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:23 pm

I believe I have a similar problem. I downloaded Linux Mint 12 and put it in a folder. Next I bought a Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive 4 GB SanDisk. I turned my PC off, stuck the flash drive in a USB port and started up. It was recognised and installed. Based on my research as to how to boot from a flash drive I went in to my bios and changed it to start first. It worked but all I got was a black screen with a line blinking. So then I put the Linux Mint 12 download files from my new folder into the folder named vaults. I then restarted again. Same thing happened, black screen, blinking line. Now I'm 70 years old and have never done this before but followed all the directions closely as far as I could understand them. So as far as I can tell I did exactly what I was supposed to do but it didn't work. Along the way I kept reading how bad Linux Mint 12 was and that many people are having trouble with it. So should I maybe consider downloading a lower numbered version? I sure would like to see what all this is about. I'm sick and tired of Windows. By the way I have XP Pro if that makes any difference. As an aside I just signed up today and of course this is my first post. I'm very glad to see I have a forum like this to go to for help.

I downloaded Linux Mint 9 and then downloaded Unetbootin to handle the booting and it worked perfectly.
Last edited by whamington on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Re: USB flash drives, cant manage them

Post by sunewbie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:17 am

tdrane wrote:Have looked through the forums, and cant find anything.

Using LM 11 on a Sony VAIO VGN-NR220E, and when I insert a Sandisk Cruzer 4 gig, I can only drag and drop from it, I cant
delete, format, or otherwise use it.

Am I missing a driver set? I am not knowledgeable in the scripting part, so please, be gentle.

By the way, I have no other issue with anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Open terminal (alt + ctrl + t)
Type sudo nautilus

browse to the pen drive, you can now do anything.

if this is working then external drives are by default configured as read only.

In this case this might be helpful,

I posted this on Bodhi Linux forums too.

a copy attached. (sign in as white lotus)

-------

After searching in ubuntu forums

I found a solution and successfully tried in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 48092.html

The last comment by @Anxiety35 worked for me.

Remove "usbmount" package from synaptic. That fixed everything instantly.

Removing usbmount was easiest and best solution for me.(Notice change in icon)

Cheers

--------

Remember, after uninstalling this app, the USB icon will change. Also remove USB stick before uninstalling this app. Still Ubuntu will be able to auto mount usbs. Since Mint main edition is based on Ubuntu, it will also work on Mint 11 / 12.

Hope this helps
Linux Beginners Search Engine | more details | Google CSE Page
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.

Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:22 am

whamington wrote:I believe I have a similar problem. I downloaded Linux Mint 12 and put it in a folder......
I think your issue is not the same as the OP. You need to make the USB dirve bootable and transfer the ISO image you downloaded using a program like "Startup Disk Creator". If you have an existing Mint or Ubuntu install, then this is easy to do.

If you already created the bootable disk using this program, but still have problems booting it, then the problem may be the same as detailed in this thread.
Garvan
Notebook: HP 14 Notebook PC 14-r003TX, i5-4210U @ 1.7 GHz, 8GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (Dual boot with Win 10)
Notebook: DELL latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2

sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sunewbie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:40 am

whamington wrote:I believe I have a similar problem. I downloaded Linux Mint 12 and put it in a folder. Next I bought a Cruzer USB 2.0 Flash Drive 4 GB SanDisk. I turned my PC off, stuck the flash drive in a USB port and started up. It was recognised and installed. Based on my research as to how to boot from a flash drive I went in to my bios and changed it to start first. It worked but all I got was a black screen with a line blinking. So then I put the Linux Mint 12 download files from my new folder into the folder named vaults. I then restarted again. Same thing happened, black screen, blinking line. Now I'm 70 years old and have never done this before but followed all the directions closely as far as I could understand them. So as far as I can tell I did exactly what I was supposed to do but it didn't work. Along the way I kept reading how bad Linux Mint 12 was and that many people are having trouble with it. So should I maybe consider downloading a lower numbered version? I sure would like to see what all this is about. I'm sick and tired of Windows. By the way I have XP Pro if that makes any difference. As an aside I just signed up today and of course this is my first post. I'm very glad to see I have a forum like this to go to for help.
Hello tdrane and whamington

Welcome to the forums :)

@whamington:

As Garvan prompted out, your problem is not the same as that of original poster.

I advise you to please start a new thread in the 'installation & boot' section, so that you get good response. Generally, people answer unread post first.

Coming back to the topic, I have installed Mint 12 along side XP (obviously inside virtualbox) Unfortunately I missed to take screen shots.

For a new comer, yes Mint 12 is not a better option. Go for Mint 10 or 11.

Regarding booting, unetbootin always works for me. Plug in empty USB drive (greater than 1.5 GB) Open unetbootin (you can get it from software center) and then select the ISO. Rest will be done automatically.

Regarding installation if you encounter any problems please raise a new topic in Installation and Boot Sections

These links should help you

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 63#p509166
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 85#p507296

If I manage screenshots I will post them and give you a link.
Acceptance = Relief, Resistance = Stress | Strength become Habit, Habit becomes Weakness
Be not a traitor in your thoughts. Do everything that is necessary in Proper time.

tdrane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tdrane » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:06 am

Sunewbie,

Perfect. Thank you. All fixed.

Yer awesome, Dude.

Now, to figure out how to make this as "Solved".

sunewbie
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sunewbie » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:19 am

tdrane wrote:
Now, to figure out how to make this as "Solved".
Glad that it worked for you.

Edit your post post, in the subject line add the word [SOLVED] before the title begins :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”