Some settings won't save

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andru183

Some settings won't save

Post by andru183 »

Hi all, I have quite a strange problem here. Everytime I restart my pc, my mouse settings reset, along with compiz settings, eclipse, firefox, filezilla. Anything with settings that need saving get reset. This is the first install I've ever used where I encrypted my home folder and wonder if that might affect it?

I've google the balls outta this and no one seems to have ever had the same problem and I'm stumped. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kabads

Re: Some settings won't save

Post by kabads »

The only thing that came to my mind was how much space you have on your /home/user partition/drive? If that's full, then applications would have a problem, but you would like to think that they would have coded in an error if that happened in at least one of the apps.
DrHu

Re: Some settings won't save

Post by DrHu »

andru183 wrote:Everytime I restart my pc, my mouse settings reset, along with compiz settings, eclipse, firefox, filezilla.
Everytime I restart my pc..
It is odd that every application and device resets itself to some default (global system)
--are you making sure you have saved your changes correctly, that is save them and then log off/relogin to see the affects, or in a terminal you could restart the desktop or try crashing it (ctrl alt bkspace), I don't know if Mint still allows this shutdown of the XServer as a default function, Ubuntu stopped enabling it for a while, although it is easily changed)

How do you restart your PC
--do you log off, in order to properly close all applications and shutdown or restart the system ?

The other place to look for defaults is your user profile
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-lin ... iguration/
--but I would say just look, don't change anything you don't recognize. you may see something in there that explains the issue ?

You could also check the system logs, specifically the X session logs (xorg*.*), they are all in /var/logs
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-lin ... og-viewer/

Since you mentioned encrypted folder, it might be the dismount (umount) is failing for that folder
--I did find some references to this on an internet search..
--you could test your encrypted folder, making sure it is working correctly..
http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7568/
  • a simple test might be
  • create a text file
  • read it back
  • make some changes
  • save changes
    restart your PC as you normally do, and see if the *.txt file is readable again (your changed version, you would have to know the contents, so a simple one-or two liner file should be sufficient

Return to “Beginner Questions”