Can't Boot From Disc

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laplacian13

Can't Boot From Disc

Post by laplacian13 »

Hi All,

I have Mint 12 installed on my Thinkpad laptop and have installed many other distributions on it in the past with no problem (LMDE, ubuntu, openSUSE, etc). I just tried to install Lisa on my Dell XPS 610i desktop, but for some reason am having trouble. I put the Mint disc in my computer and restarted it. On my Thinkpad it auto-boots from the disc - this didn't happen on my desktop, but I pressed f12 to get to the boot menu and start from optical disc. The mint boot menu thing pops up as expected. When I press "Start Linux Mint", I see the standard text:

"Loading /casper/vmlinuz...................................................................................................
Loading/casper/initrd.lz..................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................................................
Ready."

And the screen flickers as if Mint were about to start. This is what usually happens, and is what happens on my Thinkpad laptop. However, instead of starting Mint, my computer goes back to the Dell splash screen and tries to start Windows! I've gone back to the boot menu and tried again, but the same thing happens.I've tried remaking the disc, using different dvds, and I even tried using the Mint 12 RC disc I used to install Mint 12 on my laptop (because I know that disc works) but the same thing happens. Any idea whats going on? Is there some sort of setting I need to turn on or something? Hopefully it's not a compatibility issue, I need to send my laptop in to get repaired and I need mint to do some programming on this computer in the meantime.

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
laplacian13

Re: Can't Boot From Disc

Post by laplacian13 »

Edited the post with accurate output while starting the computer. Anybody know what's going on?

Return to “Beginner Questions”