[SOLVED] Sun Virtualbox USB

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gekoncze

[SOLVED] Sun Virtualbox USB

Post by Gekoncze »

Hi,
I have a problem with connecting USB devices to VBox.
I could only connect my printer, but not flash drives or gamepads (they were listed here, but I couldnt check them), so I tried googling for solution... someone solved it by adding himself to vboxusers group... so I tried it, but it was a big mistake. After reboot I cannot use any USB devices in VBox and it prints following error:

Code: Select all

The USB Proxy Service could not be started, because neither the USB file system (usbfs) nor the hardware information service (hal) is available.

Návratový kód: 
VBOX_E_HOST_ERROR (0x00BB0008)
Komponenta: 
Host
Rozhraní: 
IHost {e380cbfc-ae65-4fa6-899e-45ded6b3132a}
Volaný: 
IMachine {99404f50-dd10-40d3-889b-dd2f79f1e95e}

So I removed myself from vboxusers, but it didnt help. I also tried complete remove and install, but it still shows the error.
What do I have to do to repair it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Habitual

Re: Sun Virtualbox USB

Post by Habitual »

Gekoncze:

Do you have an Extension Pack installed for Virtualbox?
You can get it/them here...
You have to be in the vboxusers group (don't forget to logout and back in)

Please let us know...
Gekoncze

Post by Gekoncze »

The extension packages are for 4.1.6 only, so I have to find some for my version - 3.1.6
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

I don't think USB support is implemented in that version.

"Starting with version 4.0, VirtualBox is split into several components.
The virtual USB 2.0 (EHCI) device; see the section called “USB settings”.

says https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch01. ... installing
Gekoncze

Post by Gekoncze »

the 4.1.6 version wasn't in the repository, so I looked on VBox web-page and found Ubuntu lucid binary, so I installed it, added myself to vboxusers group and installed extension pack and USB is now working :) thanks for your help

Return to “Beginner Questions”