The newest ADOBE Flash Player install problem...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linux amateur

The newest ADOBE Flash Player install problem...

Post by linux amateur »

Hi! I am beginner with computers and with linux especially:(
From 20.12.2011 "Megavideo" require the newest version of flash. I downland all possible version (except one) of this program for linux but
i cant run the installation. after downland I only have some folders to open (like "usr" folder) and some notes to read "like libflashplayer.so" but there is no icon to run the program.
There is one version of adobe i cant downland becouse of en error : "julia-partner". I know i am not very good with comps but please .... i need to find out what to do to solve my problem...:(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwwgateway

Re: The newest ADOBE Flash Player install problem...

Post by cwwgateway »

Which version of mint did you install - cd or dvd? Flash is packaged with the dvd version, and you can install it on the cd version by going to the welcome screen (which is a program called welcome screen) and selecting "add multimedia codecs" (you might want to upgrade to the dvd edition while you're at it, although you might be happy without the extra programs). You can also install it from synaptic package manager by installing "mint-meta-codecs" (the dvd package is something like mint-meta-gnome-dvd, or maybe mint-gnome-dvd but you can search mint dvd and it will come up. This part is optional and won't affect your codecs).
seppalta

Post by seppalta »

Something in section 20 might help you: http://douwil7.100webspace.net/linux/Tuning.html#20 .
RETNUH

Post by RETNUH »

linux amateur wrote:... i cant run the installation. after downland I only have some folders to open (like "usr" folder) and some notes to read "like libflashplayer.so" but there is no icon to run the program.
It sounds like you haven't checked the package/software managers. They have flash player in there. It is usually up to date as flash is fairly popular.
linux amateur wrote:... there is no icon to run the program.
Also you must remember this isn't Windows. Things don't automatically install and leave an icon. You must first compile the tarball(a file ending with a file extension of some variation .tar). There are almost always directions on how to do this for your program in a "Readme" or "Install" file located within the downloaded programs folder.
Last edited by RETNUH on Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

I think we should go simple on the explanation, considering that "linux amateur" is still a newbie. I will answer a couple of questions that may have surged during the explanations in order to let you understand what you did and what you should have done.

When downloading Flash Player from Adobe's website, you downloaded a package that was very likely a .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 file. This is a very old fashioned way of installing software. It is very annoying and (in my humble opinion) very complicated so I have never used it and never will. There are better ways.

In Linux, many thing vary from Windows; one of them is the way you install software. Normally, when running Windows, you go to the home page of the app you want, download it and then install it (i.e, you went to Adobe's website and downloaded Flash Player). In Linux (at least in most distros) what you do is very different. I'm not currently going to explain how it works, but I will tell you that there are two apps in your Linux installation that you will love for life. "Software Manager" and "Synapitc Package Manager". The firs one is more user-friendly, but it offers you a little bit less control over the packages; the second one is not user friendly at all, but is very customizable and a lot more lightweight. In my humble opinion, you should go with the first one (Software Manager) since it is a lot more visual and is easier to use.

First advice, delete the file you downloaded from Adobe's website. You will not need it.

Ok; depending on the version of Mint you are using, you will find this app in a different place, so I will tell you the following: Hold down the "Alt" key and then (Without releasing "Alt") press the "F2" key. You should get a "popup" that has a text box in it. Then, you write "mintinstall" (Without the quotes) and hit enter. This will launch the software manager and you will find a text box in the top left corner. Write "flash" (Without the quotes) in the box and hit enter. The app will search a couple of options and will present you with the ones that fit your query. You should install the one called "adobe-flashplugin" to get Flash Player.

You will be prompted with the super user's password (if you don't know what this is or only have one user in your Mint, just type your login password) and the installation will begin. You will see the progress bar move in the bottom of the screen and you will know that something is happening. When the progress bar is done moving, Flash Player will be installed.

I hope this has cleared some of your doubts regarding Linux and software. Have a nice day/night and welcome to our community. Danko.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

libflashplayer.so IS THE FLASHPLAYER If you can download the latest flashplayer and get that file (libflashplayer.so) when you unzip the tarball (tar -xzvf /path/to/flashplayer.tar.gz) all you need to do is copy the liblashplayer.so that results into /opt/mint-flashplugins-11
and you are good to go with the latest flash (you must sudo to copy to /opt). Flash will be called automagically when you click on a flashplayer file with Firefox. In fact, I habitually downgrade my flashplayer because I want to be able to get at the watched files in my /tmp. Newer versions put flash files somewhere else and requires jumping through hoops to save them.
grunthorn

Post by grunthorn »

Thanks Dank08321! Your explanation was clear and simple.
Danko8321

Post by Danko8321 »

Don't worry and I'm glad you understood. Don't forget to mark the post as solved (you can simply add "[SOLVED]" to the first post you made) so other people facing the same kind of problem can come here for an answer. Last but not least, have fun with your Linux :D. Cheers. Danko.
MattShepherd

Post by MattShepherd »

Thanks from me too, Danko! I was having the same problem that that was a very helpful answer.
snakemm

Post by snakemm »

Hi guys, I hope you could help me. I had the same problem than the OP. and followed dankos easy way of installing, but something has failed (without message, actually it said that the package was succesfully instaled..) , because every time I try to open a youtube video or any flashplayer dependant web my mozzila closes the window. I have reinstaled via "package manager" but the problem persists.
Of course I tried rebooting the comp. but that doesn't fix it :-(.
excuse my english and thanks anyway... i really need help
snakemm

Post by snakemm »

Ok, I just fixed it by downloading flash aid (firefox addon) which made the dirty job for me. Thanks anyway.
PickledPoacher

Post by PickledPoacher »

I was just flicking through some stuff and happened on this article. As a new user of Linux the comments and support offered here is superb. Especially Danko8321. A well considered response, pitched at a perfect level for new comers. Well done, more forum users should be like you

Return to “Beginner Questions”