SOLVED _ LM12 Standard Account - can't add search engine

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mag
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED _ LM12 Standard Account - can't add search engine

Post by mag » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:43 pm

In my LM12 Administrator account it was straightforward to add Google search engine to Firefox.

In my wife's Standard account it just doesn't seem to work - the 'Add Google' message doesn't appear in the drop-down after following the manage search engine instructions.

Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Last edited by mag on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

coolpup
Level 2
Level 2

Re: LM12 Standard Account - can't add search engine to Firef

Post by coolpup » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:12 pm

mag wrote:In my LM12 Administrator account it was straightforward to add Google search engine to Firefox.

In my wife's Standard account it just doesn't seem to work - the 'Add Google' message doesn't appear in the drop-down after following the manage search engine instructions.

Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
I'm guessing you clicked on the Manage Search Engines, and then clicked on Get more search engines. You'll get another page. Near the bottom of that one is something that says Other Engines. Click on the one you want to add. Then click on the black down arrow in the search window and just above Manage Search Engines, you should see Add "search engine name", which would be the search engine you want to add. You may have to do it a couple of times, because it doesn't always seem to catch the first time for some reason. I added a couple of them, as a regular user, while writing this.

mag
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SOLVED _ LM12 Standard Account - can't add search engine

Post by mag » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:05 am

Thanks for trying this out coolpup.

I'd tried a dozen or so times, reinstalled firefox, removed noscript and ABP+ etc

Turned out that the problem was that her FF account was in private browsing mode. Set to remember history and it worked first time!

Seasons Greetings to all at Mint and Mint Forum :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”