[Solved]Can't install a .run file, not sure how.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dubmatix

[Solved]Can't install a .run file, not sure how.

Post by dubmatix »

I have tried googling this but it would seem i should log in as root in the command line console and then cd to the directory containing the file....then if i do this :
Mylogin Downloads # sh mplabx-ide-v1.00a-linux-installer.run
I get this....
mplabx-ide-v1.00a-linux-installer.run: 2: Syntax error: end of file unexpected (expecting ")")

Is it me?

Thanks in advance

J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lahirdenganselamat
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can't install a .run file, not sure how.

Post by lahirdenganselamat »

it's not safe to use root terminal doing such a thing. using sudo or gksudo was better.
to be able to run a .run file, first you must set the file to be executable (using right-click > properties > permission)
then you can type on terminal

Code: Select all

./filename.run
or

Code: Select all

sudo ./filename.run
dubmatix

Re: [Solved]Can't install a .run file, not sure how.

Post by dubmatix »

Many thanks lahirdenganselamat. Useful info and i learned something too. It is installing right now. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”