Dual boot woes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
silvius_discipulus
Level 1
Level 1

Dual boot woes

Post by silvius_discipulus »

Hey all,

I have received a lot of excellent advice here recently and as such have made significant gains in my quest to install Mint 12 on my hp dv6-6110us. There is one problem, however, that negates all of the progress I make on the others. When I install as a dual boot next to Windows 7 (preinstalled), I cannot prevent Mint 12 (or any previous version, or Ubuntu...) from corrupting the MBR. All I get when I try to boot into Windows is a blue screen of death and a forced restart. So no matter how well the installation of Mint goes, I eventually have to wipe it out and restore my computer from a system image to access Windows 7 again. I have to have Windows 7 for work, so just leaving it broken or off my computer is not an option. Any advice to keep this from happening so that my Windows and Mint will stop fighting and learn to get along?

Below is a summary of what I did last time to install Mint:

check disk fragmentation (0%)
shrink windows partition by 150 GB
check disk fragmentation again (still 0%)
boot Mint 12 from Live DVD in compatibility mode using nomodeset (I have Radeon graphics)
install Mint using 150 GB of unallocated space as follows:
/boot = 256 MB
/= 25 GB
swap = 2 GB
/home = leftovers
complete Mint install successfully, attempt to boot into Windows 7
BSOD and tears

Thoughts?

mads
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dual boot woes

Post by mads »

While installing Mint, you are asked where to have GRUB. Select sda, and not sda1.

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

Can you see what message of BSOD :?: if you can read the message maybe we can find a solution.

silvius_discipulus
Level 1
Level 1

mank_in wrote:Can you see what message of BSOD :?: if you can read the message maybe we can find a solution.
I forget the exact wording, but I know that it's a STOP 0x0000007b. According to Micro$oft, this means that an expected device is unavailable for boot. If you need a screenshot, I can get one.

silvius_discipulus
Level 1
Level 1

mads wrote:While installing Mint, you are asked where to have GRUB. Select sda, and not sda1.
This is an interesting idea that I have not tried before, but at what point in the Mint 12 install does it ask where to have the GRUB? I don't recall being asked.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It only asks you when you use the advanced partitioning, the "something else" option. In any other case it just installs the bootloader at the proper location by default.

Perhaps you can run fixboot in the Windows recovery console (on the Windows CD)?
I also recommend to do chkdsk /p C: from the recovery console (which is the same as chkdsk /f C: from Windows's Command Prompt) to check the disk for errors, which might also cause problems when shrinking the Windows 7 partition.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Dobbs69
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Re: Dual boot woes

Post by Dobbs69 »

silvius_discipulus wrote:Hey all,

I have received a lot of excellent advice here recently and as such have made significant gains in my quest to install Mint 12 on my hp dv6-6110us. There is one problem, however, that negates all of the progress I make on the others. When I install as a dual boot next to Windows 7 (preinstalled), I cannot prevent Mint 12 (or any previous version, or Ubuntu...) from corrupting the MBR. All I get when I try to boot into Windows is a blue screen of death and a forced restart. So no matter how well the installation of Mint goes, I eventually have to wipe it out and restore my computer from a system image to access Windows 7 again. I have to have Windows 7 for work, so just leaving it broken or off my computer is not an option. Any advice to keep this from happening so that my Windows and Mint will stop fighting and learn to get along?

Below is a summary of what I did last time to install Mint:

check disk fragmentation again (still 0%)
boot Mint 12 from Live DVD in compatibility mode using nomodeset (I have Radeon graphics)
/boot = 256 MB
/= 25 GB
swap = 2 GB
/home = leftovers
BSOD and tears

Thoughts?
I foundf a pretty good way around your problem when I set up my dual boot with windows 7 and mint. I setup what you might call a daisy chain boot. Like what someone eles said I changed where the install wanted to put grubb2. First, when you partition your hd you can set up a 200 mb partition called (/boot). Mine was sda5. Then change the install to load grubb2 there.

Then in windows, I downloaded a app called EASY BSD (I think-you can google it) It allows you to add grubb2 location to your windows mbr.

So when I turn on computer, windows boot loader pops up and I can choose linux or windows.

Hope that helps you. Sorry for not having all the information. As you can tell I'm a noob.

But it worked for me.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

Dobbs69 wrote:I downloaded a app called EASY BSD

Third Party program to manage bootloader in MS window is easy BCD :)

Dobbs69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dobbs69 »

mank_in wrote:
Dobbs69 wrote:I downloaded a app called EASY BSD

Third Party program to manage bootloader in MS window is easy BCD :)
Thanks, I'm on job site, I knew it was close. I hope I was clear enough. Like I said I'm knew to this. Don't want to steer anyone wrong!

silvius_discipulus
Level 1
Level 1

I ran out of hobby time today and had to restore my Windows system from a system image. I was thinking that something like Easy BCD might be the way to go, but here's another question: is there a way to install Linux Mint WITHOUT grub in the first place? Thus skipping the part where I cripple my MBR and avoiding a lot of headaches. Then would I be able to access Mint via Easy BCD?

Dobbs69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dobbs69 »

That's what is good about easy bcd your grubb2 doesn't go in mbr, it goes in your linux partition unless you make a partition for it, like I posted earlier. The easy bcd allows you to boot into either windows or linux.

I don't think you can start linux without the grubb2. However, I'm not experienced enough to be sure of that.

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

If your case is missing or corrupt windows bootloader , you can try How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader

silvius_discipulus
Level 1
Level 1

Dobbs69 wrote:I foundf a pretty good way around your problem when I set up my dual boot with windows 7 and mint. I setup what you might call a daisy chain boot. Like what someone eles said I changed where the install wanted to put grubb2. First, when you partition your hd you can set up a 200 mb partition called (/boot). Mine was sda5. Then change the install to load grubb2 there.

Then in windows, I downloaded a app called EASY BSD (I think-you can google it) It allows you to add grubb2 location to your windows mbr.

So when I turn on computer, windows boot loader pops up and I can choose linux or windows.

Hope that helps you. Sorry for not having all the information. As you can tell I'm a noob.

But it worked for me.

I started from zero again today, but took your advice and installed GRUB to sda5 (my /boot partition) instead of sda. Unfortunately, I still got the BSOD from Windows. Not only that, but since GRUB wasn't yet accessible, I couldn't even boot into Linux. :roll: I have no idea why I have so much trouble trying to get Mint up and running on this computer when installation on my ASUS netbook with Windows 7 Starter was a total breeze. Anyway, here's what I did this time:

/boot = 256 MB (sda5)
*changed bootloader install to sda5*
/= 25 GB
swap = 2 GB
/home = leftovers
another BSOD and more salty, salty tears

I probably need to stop trying to install Mint, but each time I put the DVD in it looks so cool and I WANT IT :wink:

Any other ideas to install Mint in a dual boot with Windows 7 without murdering the MBR?

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

There is one problem, however, that negates all of the progress I make on the others. When I install as a dual boot next to Windows 7 (preinstalled), I cannot prevent Mint 12 (or any previous version, or Ubuntu...) from corrupting the MBR. All I get when I try to boot into Windows is a blue screen of death and a forced restart. So no matter how well the installation of Mint goes, I eventually have to wipe it out and restore my computer from a system image to access Windows 7 again. I have to have Windows 7 for work, so just leaving it broken or off my computer is not an option. Any advice to keep this from happening so that my Windows and Mint will stop fighting and learn to get along?
silvius_discipulus wrote:
I started from zero again today, but took your advice and installed GRUB to sda5 (my /boot partition) instead of sda. Unfortunately, I still got the BSOD from Windows. Not only that, but since GRUB wasn't yet accessible, I couldn't even boot into Linux. :roll: I have no idea why I have so much trouble trying to get Mint up and running on this computer when installation on my ASUS netbook with Windows 7 Starter was a total breeze. Anyway, here's what I did this time:

/boot = 256 MB (sda5)
*changed bootloader install to sda5*
/= 25 GB
swap = 2 GB
/home = leftovers
another BSOD and more salty, salty tears

I probably need to stop trying to install Mint, but each time I put the DVD in it looks so cool and I WANT IT :wink:

Any other ideas to install Mint in a dual boot with Windows 7 without murdering the MBR?

I read your posts.
It seem this issue you face is repeatable.
and you said I cannot prevent Mint 12 (or any previous version, or Ubuntu...)

seriously if your method cannot work with also Mint9, Mint8, Mint7, ubuntu 6, etc
you should note that earlier version of Mint and ubuntu use older graub legacy and installer, so if all of them 'corrupt' windows OS boot partition...

that leads me to think something to do with partition..or installer 'bug'.. because in some win7 installation it has its own boot partition, you also added another boot partition, perhaps grub also do something to the win boot partition???( just wild guess only,I could be wrong..)

but if you can spend a bit more time, to troubleshoot,...
can you just boot into Mint Live DVD, then open a terminal, type three commands
post their results

1. sudo ob-prober
2. sudo fdisk -l
3. sudo parted -l print

also while you are still in Live mode, mount mint partition, copy out the grub.cfg by
4. sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
5. cat /mnt/boot/grub/grub.cfg

Inkit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Inkit »

I would go with mads suggestion. Except that I would have also added that with the problems you are facing, maybe you should try and simplify your install by just choosing a partition for \ and nothing else. I've dual booted with XP, 2007 and vista without any problems, and generally as long as you choose the advanced option, and click on installing grub to sda, you should not have any problem so don't know what your problem is.
Maybe you can post a screenshot of your partition layout here. You can get one from your live cd using gparted. just log in to the forums from the live cd itself and post the image to simplify matters.

chakramint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chakramint »

--I read somewhere that with win7, you should have its boot loader in MBR (something about updating that could cause problems), i.e. you don't want grub to be in sda but in /boot instead (then use easy bcd--can't remember the actual name).
--Win7 comes pre-installed with this "dynamic" file system (I was surprised that you were able to partition as you did, bc w/ my HP DV-7, I didn't get past this part bc Windows' 1st partition kept changing size).
--If this is the case, what I did w/ my DV-7 was to recover (i.e. reinstall) Win7 with "basic" fs then proceeded to partition as:
Win7: 'something':\ drive and C:\ drive (HP DV-7 came w/ 3 partitions)
Linux: /boot; /; swap; /home
Then installed easy bcd, added linux as boot option (later you could delete linux w/out having to fix your MBR).
In Win7, go to start and type something like "partition" then check if your file system is indeed set to "dynamic."

silvius_discipulus
Level 1
Level 1

Inkit wrote:I would go with mads suggestion. Except that I would have also added that with the problems you are facing, maybe you should try and simplify your install by just choosing a partition for \ and nothing else. I've dual booted with XP, 2007 and vista without any problems, and generally as long as you choose the advanced option, and click on installing grub to sda, you should not have any problem so don't know what your problem is.
Maybe you can post a screenshot of your partition layout here. You can get one from your live cd using gparted. just log in to the forums from the live cd itself and post the image to simplify matters.
I haven't figured out how to post images yet, but here's a summary of what GParted says:

Partition File System Label Size Used Unused Flags
/dev/sda1 ntfs SYSTEM 992.50 KiB
/dev/sda2 ntfs 199.00 MiB boot
/dev/sda3 ntfs 450.47 GiB
/dev/sda4 ext4 145.51 GiB
unallocated unallocated 1.00 MiB

I have no idea what the 992.50 KiB sda1 partition is, why sda4 shows as ext4 when I only just shrank it from my Windows partition, or what the deal is with the 1.00 MiB of unallocated space. Windows 7 Disk Manager and Linux Mint Disk Utility do not show any of these quirks. Here's a summary of what LM Disk Utility says.

/dev/sda1 SYSTEM 209 MB NTFS
/dev/sda2 484 GB NTFS
/dev/sda 156 GB Free

Does this give any clues as to how I should install LM12 to avoid trashing my Windows 7 MBR?

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mank_in »

To post an image, capture your screen with "Print Screen" key. upload to tinypic.com , select resize maybe at 320x240 or 640x480, press upload. After that you will see link for image ( something like [img].....[/img] ). Copy the link and paste at your post.

silvius_discipulus
Level 1
Level 1

mank_in wrote:To post an image, capture your screen with "Print Screen" key. upload to tinypic.com , select resize maybe at 320x240 or 640x480, press upload. After that you will see link for image ( something like Image ). Copy the link and paste at your post.
Thanks mank_in!

Here are my partition snapshots:

GParted

Disk Utility

Mike54
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike54 »

Silvius, using EasyBCD takes all the problems out of the way for you. I've used this method on a couple dozen installs and it has yet to fail me. This sounds like a lot of steps, but take each step, one after another, from top to bottom and you'll get Mint running in no time.

Is /dev/sda4 the partition you have set aside for your Mint install? If so, set up your Mint partitions as you described in the OP. Keep track of what partition your /boot partition is and be sure you select that partition for the GRUB install. Let the installer run as normal and when it says it is finished, close the LiveCD session down and let the computer restart. It will boot into Windows. (Remember, GRUB is not in the MBR, only Windows. Which means there is no chance the MBR will be corrupted.)

Once Windows has opened, click on EasyBCD, to open it up.

Click on Add New Entry, in the left column.

Then select the Linux/BSD tab.

Mint uses GRUB2, so set that as your Type.

I like to type in a descriptive Name, so whoever happens to be sitting at the desk will understand they have a choice between Windows 7 and (in this case) Linux Mint 12 Lisa.

Once you are finished there, click the Add Entry button.

Select Edit Boot Menu from the left column.

Add Linux Mint 12 Lisa to the Boot Menu.

Select which operating system you want to use as a default and set a delay time before the default is loaded.

Click Save Settings. You're finished. It really is just that easy.

Re-boot the machine and this time around, you'll see the Windows Boot Manager appear. Select Mint from the Boot Manager and in a couple seconds, you will see the GRUB menu. Select Mint again and press Enter. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying all that Minty goodness.

Follow those steps and everything should work out for you. Let us know how much you're enjoying Mint 12, when you get it installed. I have LMDE running on one machine, but Lisa with a sprinkle of Cinnamon is running on two others and is about to be installed on a third.

Return to “Newbie Questions”