Installing Desktop environments

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Installing Desktop environments

Post by rmcellig »

Let's say I want to install Enlightenment, Openbox, Fluxbox and Nautilus desktop environments, does this slow down my computer, or does it just install files that will allow me to work in different desktop environments. In other words, does installing different desktop environments add more stuff to the system so that it could make it slower? Or maybe it doesn't work this way? Just curious.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM
opensores

Re: Installing Desktop environments

Post by opensores »

If you install a complete desktop environment like XFCE, you will end up with a ton of programs which all perform the same tasks, i.e. xfburn + brasero, etc. Many DE's also have 'lite' versions with fewer bundled applications, so that might be something to look into. Openbox is just a window manager, so it should just install that single package, it's dependencies, which you probably already have, and nothing else. I believe Fluxbox is similar in that respect, though I always use Openbox when I'm going for something simple, so I haven't used Fluxbox much. I don't think e17 comes with a huge amount of software either, so it should not be much of a problem. You can check the dependency list before you install anything.

In any event, I don't think installing additional software packages is going to slow your system down, so I'd go ahead and expirement if I were you, you can always remove them later. If you want to try out lots of new DE's you might want to look at Arch or something, and start customizing from the ground up. The wiki tells you how to do pretty much everything. I usually only recommend Mint to people that just want a nice pretty system without any major config tweaking, but if you want to use Openbox, you'd better like to tweak :D
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

That's a good question. I don't think it slows it down because you are only using one desktop environment at a time. But I have concerns about it creating problems, for instance, I had Mint 12 installed on my desktop computer, ran updates last night, was switching between logging into MATE and Gnome Classic and it started freezing up to the point I just installed Lubuntu over it.
I keep a copy of Mint 12 on a USB stick with the following desktops installed on it: MGSE, Gnome/Classic, Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce4, and LXDE, and so far it works OK.
I wouldn't worry about it slowing down, though you will have lots of extra programs if space is an issue.
KBD47
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

I have lots of space so no problem there. If worse comes to worse, I can always uninstall some of the DE's through SPM.
Take care,

Randy
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

You aren't using them all together so not very much. Just extra place on your HDD will be used, so every task which uses the HDD will be slower but that's just a minimal factor.

Go ahead and discover the world of DE's :D

I would suggest you check out Cinnanon, the new GNOME fork.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Is Cinnamon in Synaptic Package Manager? I have been a diehard Mac user since 1988 and I have to tell you that I rarely use my Intel iMac that much these days. I have four computers running various Linux distros and love it!!
Take care,

Randy
cfr42

Post by cfr42 »

When I first started using Linux I installed a bunch of different DEs/WMs etc. (This was partly because I was trying to get X to work and reached the point where I was so desperate I was just installing anything which might contain something which might help...)

The main problem, I think, is that each one which comes with applications will probably install menu entries for those applications and they do not come with a sticker telling you which set they belong to. Indeed, many of them may use the same name and even the same icon in the menu. At least, this is how things ended up for me on Debian. I don't know how these things work in Mint. (_Is_ there a menu?!)

Gnome ran like treacle but I think this was Gnome rather than because the others were installed. Xfce ran nicely...

Edit: rereading this, it makes it sound as though I've been using LInux for years. "When I first started all those years ago..." I didn't mean to imply this and it is certainly false!
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

rmcellig wrote:Is Cinnamon in Synaptic Package Manager? I have been a diehard Mac user since 1988 and I have to tell you that I rarely use my Intel iMac that much these days. I have four computers running various Linux distros and love it!!
Yes, it is. Install both Cinnamon and Cinnamon-session
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

For me, I can't find Cinnamon in synaptic package manager. Maybe I need to add a repository? If so, how do I do this?
Take care,

Randy
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

rmcellig wrote:For me, I can't find Cinnamon in synaptic package manager. Maybe I need to add a repository? If so, how do I do this?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-session
That should work
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Thanks but this is what I get:

home@ubuntustudio1110:~$ sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-session
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package cinnamon
E: Unable to locate package cinnamon-session
home@ubuntustudio1110:~$
Take care,

Randy
truexfan81

Post by truexfan81 »

rmcellig wrote:Thanks but this is what I get:

home@ubuntustudio1110:~$ sudo apt-get install cinnamon cinnamon-session
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package cinnamon
E: Unable to locate package cinnamon-session
home@ubuntustudio1110:~$
Are you running mint 12? if so try sudo apt-get update, then try the install command again. if not running mint 12 i don't know what to tell you, cinnamon is in the mint 12 repos.
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

Is there any way I can add the Mint 12 repos to my computer?
Take care,

Randy
Arrow2Knee

Post by Arrow2Knee »

rmcellig wrote:Is there any way I can add the Mint 12 repos to my computer?
Go to update manager, then software sources in the menu, then select all ubuntu repos.

Return to “Beginner Questions”