[SOLVED] Few questions before installing Mint.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hefff
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Few questions before installing Mint.

Post by hefff »

Hello guys, im new like u can see so i need to ask u a few questions since im confused. Im having this configuration: 2 x HDD(Seagate+WD) each 500GB, Intel Core Duo E8400 at 3GHz, 4 x 1GB Ram (2 at 5 cas, 2 at 6 cas timing having problem to make them all run at 800Mhz from time to time, dual channel etc), MSI P43 Neo3, 9800 GT video. Currently im on Win Xp SP3 32 bit at the WD disk - 4 partions. The Seagate one is new(replaced) since i have problems with both of them having some bad sectors and some other "fun" problems...
My goal is to install the Seagate with Mint 12 and to keep my Windows till i get enough familiar with all the problems around compatibility of the games i use to play at win xp and to copy all my files 400 GB+ to the linux disc. After that i plan to replace the WD disk with the bad sectors and to use it with or w/o windows os on it depending on above. My question is how to partiotion the Mint 12 Disc - seagate 500GB?
I read alot stuff in the forum, most of this thread, the guide which is kinda not explained at all same as the most youtube videos, read the fedora documentation since its very extensive but still confusing and different from alot of the stuff here. As what ive read my idea is to make it
hda1 - swap - not sure bout size since info is soooo different. Probly 4GB with 2GB on both disks at 1st mount point or smthing. NOTE: I plan to use 64bit of Mint if it matters.
hda2 - / - root around 10 - 12GB (at fedora says 3-5GB)
hda3 - /home - 15GB
hda4 - /boot - 250 MB noone said bout boot one here so not really sure. And seriously is there any real documentation of this project?
And this is the point where i got my issues what to do with the other 470GB. Most here say keep unallocated or in home or just other partions. I have large video files etc also i constantly download movies so i need all the space lets say. Also plan to play alot games so i probly need wine or virtualbox for World of Warcraft or others. Can i make more partiotions for data archieves, and do i need /var, /opt, /usr. Btw i plan all to be ext4 except swap ofc if im right ofc.

Ive read bout dual boxing etc and probly i need to put the grub loader in the linux disc - the seagate. Will the be any probs when i change the other disc and it couldnt see the win xp. Also the 64bit mint can see my 32bit win partitions?

Also there isnt anything simple in the installation of linux even mint compared to windows, even when u do clear install. For 16 years i havent read probly even a page bout installing anything in win dos or other and still managed, and i read like 2 books just for a simple install and still cant figure it out :( .
Last edited by hefff on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Few questions before installing Mint. Pls give some help

Post by mank_in »

My suggestion ( assumed your seagate disk is empty)
- Use disk management on win xp.Create a 2 partition on seagate HD, first probably 100 GB parttion type not problem ,you will deleted this partition with mint installer. Second create NTFS partition of the rest your harddisk for you data ( so win XP can read it too)
-Unconnect HD cable from WD (you can reconnect later ). Boot Mint CD/DVD, i recommend DVD to save bandwith. Install Mint , at create partition select something else. Delete 100GB partition. from new Free space create 96 GB Ext4 mount poin at " /" and 4 GB swap. Continue your installation
- After installing you can reconnect your WD disk again. Select in BIOS Primary harddisk boot : seagate to boot Mint , if you want to boot xp select boot first in WD

In Mint 11 if you connect another Disk with OS installed, just run startup manager , it will adding OS option in boot menu.
Startup manager disappear from mint 12. I read you can edit Grub but i never try. ( maybe someone else :?: )
( If you installed Mint 12 and not make update at first time, i think startup manager not removed yet. You can try connect your WD disk and try startup manager . Of course you must not connected to internet while installing mint)

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There are as many answers to your question as there are Linux users. Everyone has their own favorite installation method. I think mine is quite simple and easy, but then so does everyone else. Leave this topic open for two or three days and you will have plenty of options to choose from or you can mix and match ideas to build your own method.

If you have large files to store (you mentioned videos) these would be stored in your /home partition in the Videos folder. In this case you wouldwant a large /home partition to handle all the files. I would recommend using the entire volume not used for swap and /(root) as your /home partition.

First, a little information on partitions.

You are only allowed four primary partitions per hard drive. One of the primaries may be an extended partition containing up to 17 logical partitions. An extended partition is automatically opened when a logical partition is created and remains open until a new primary partition is created.

With 4 GB of ram, especially on a desktop system, you really do not need a swap space at all. Some people (like me) prefer to install a token swap of 256-512 MB because some distros still want to see a swap space before they will work properly. I usually install swap as a primary partition, again because some distros want it that way (Mint does not and will run quite well with no swap at all).

You do not need a /boot partition. The Grub bootloader will install itself to the mbr by default or anywhere else you tell it to install.

In fact, you do not really need anything besides a /(root) partition but it is nice to install a /home partition if you have the room. This will save your personal data and configuration files if the system crashes.

Now to installation.

You do not have to remove the Windows drive or pre-partition the blank drive. These things can be handled during installation.

Boot your install media (CD, DVD,or flash drive) to the live desktop and double click on the "Install Linux Mint" icon to start the installer. The first two pages are self explanatory.

On the third page, when asked how you want to install Mint, choose "Something Else". This will start the manual partitioner.

On the manual partitioning page, you will see a partition table. Both of your hard drives will be identified. One (probably identified as /dev/sda) will contain 4 partitions labeled "ntfs". This is your Windows drive. Don't touch it.

The second drive (/dev/sdb) is where you want to install Mint. It should show the entire drive as free space. Click on the free space in /dev/sdb and click "Add" at the bottom of the table.

A window labeled "Create Partition" will open. If you want to add a swap space, set the size to whatever you want, Click either "primary" or "logical" as you desire, choose "Beginning" as location, then choose "swap area" from the drop down menu for "Use As". Click OK and the partition will be added to the table (nothing will be done to your drive until all partitions are set up and you click "Install Now").

Now click the remaining free space and click "Add". set up your /(root) partition as a logical partition, size can be whatever you want as long as it is more than 5GB (I usually use 15 GB and I have never run out of space.), click "Beginning", "Use as" ext4 (or another file system if you prefer), set "Mount Point" as /, and click "OK".

Set up a /home partition in the same way as /, just leave the size as the entire free space, set "Use As" to the same file system you used for /, and set "Mount Point" as /home.

At the bottom of this page there is a drop down for"Device for bootloader installation". In your case, leave it alone. It will install Grub to the mbr on /dev/sda by default and establish your dual boot menu automatically.

When you are happy with all choices, click "Install Now" and the installation will proceed. For most of the few questions the installer will ask from here on, you can just take the default answer by clicking "Continue". The most complicated thing you have left to do is choose a user name, device name, and password.

If you have questions at any time post them in the forum and someone will respond. Enjoy Mint and I hope you will be a Mint user for many years.
Registered Linux User 483387

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Quick reply to your other questions.

I have never installed or used Wine as I have always had a small Windows partition that I could boot into for the few things I could not do in Mint. I can't help you here, but if you are dual booting, you will have your XP installation to run Windows apps and games so you will not need Wine or Virtualbox (until you decide to delete Windows).

I think I answered everything about dual booting in my previous post except that if or when you change the Windows drive and reinstall Windows to the new drive, you will loose the Grub entry in the mbr when you remove the old Windows drive. To regain your dual boot set up you will have to reinstall Grub to the mbr using this procedure https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 ... ling_GRUB2.

Mint 64 bit will see and read your 32 bit Windows files.

Windows is a simple, if protracted, installation because Microsoft has made all of the choices for you. Linux installations are not difficult, just different (and faster). You must make all of the choices for yourself. This is one of the greatest benefits of using Linux - YOU are the one in control, not some faceless corporation.
Registered Linux User 483387

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

The absolute minimum partitions that you need is one, mounted at / (root). Feelings regarding a swap partition are mixed, though since HD space is so cheap these days (though not as cheap as it was before the disasters) there's no harm putting some space to use as a swap. With 4Gb RAM you will get away quite comfortably with 4Gb swap. More will be just a waste, less will probably be fine.

It's often a good idea to have a separate /home partition since this just makes things much easier if you need to reinstall.

/boot is entirely optional, and on a single or dual boot system is probably not necessary. It really starts to be useful if you are booting 3 or more operating systems.

If you elect to go with a separate /home partition then you do need to give some thought to the size of the root partition. On a pre-built distro (such as Mint) the system itself is going to consume a fair chunk for itself (4 - 6 Gb) and as you use the system and install more this will grow. With 500Gb available I'd personally recommend not less than 30Gb for root (and possibly even as much as 40Gb) to allow for anything that you can throw at it.

If you plan on nuking XP at some point you may also want to change the partition layout on your XP drive now while you have disk space to copy stuff to and from. Make a separate data partition and move your own User folder to it in XP. You can mount the Data disk in Mint and link from /home to folders on the Data disk for transparent sharing of data between the two OSes in the meantime, and you aren't duplicating data across two drives. It will also help when removing XP because your personal files will be safe on a separate partition.

Of course, these are just my thoughts. You will, eventually, figure out a scheme that suits you and your needs.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

hefff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hefff »

Thx for the help guys, really appreciate it :). Im gona try it now using ur advices, just only thinking to put the grub at my linux drive since the xp drive is gona die next week. Im gona try the scheme with 20GB root im not lacking space anyway :), not that i plan to download so many software packages. Ill give it a try with some more 2GB swap now and 2GB later on the new hdd since im not really sure yet for the virtual machines principles of work. Just wondering if there will be any big slowing since the home drive gona be huge like 470+. I can probly change it later with gparted if not wrong. Im thinking only for eventual problems with games since i dont plan to use any other specialized software.
1). I dont see any literature bout Mint but since its based on ubuntu probly i need to look for some details in such books?
2). Also wanted to ask u is there anything similar to the encrypt disc option in fedora and is it really possible to be encryted after the installation.
3.). And maybe the question is newbie but is it possible someone to hack my computer/keyloggers etc since i need to use for some financial stuff. Also can i encrypt my internet traffic :D. U probbly gona ask since ive used such insecure system as windows before how i managed to not be vulnerable. I used virtual keyboards and random position entering passwords but its too slow so i prefer easier methods if possible.
Thx again for ur help. Ill mark is as solved if u give few tips on those 3 questions.

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

1. There's plenty of information and links to information here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=38355
Otherwise, have a mooch around the forums here, and at the community site. Linux being Linux a lot of online help will be of use regardless of the distribution that you use. Other more distro specific matters may better be searched here or asked here.
2. You can achieve full disk encryption, and there are several methods to choose from. One of the best is probably truecrypt, but may be overkill for your needs. I'm sure others will be along with suggestions.
3. The likelihood of a virus infection etc. is extremely small compared to Windows (I believe that there have only ever been two linux virii released into the wild, and even those would have limited opportunity to infect since they generally require root privileges). This doesn't mean that you are immune, however, and care should still be taken when you visit web sites, respond to emails etc. as you would on any other OS. As for keyloggers, again it's unlikely that a software keylogger could cause any damage owing to root access being required. Hardware keyloggers OTOH are almost impossible to stop, so if anything looks wrong with your keyboard, or the connection between your keyboard and your PC best to double check. Probably not much of an issue in a home environment, and more of a risk in a corporate environment.

Internet traffic is encrypted just the same whether you use Windows or Linux. Wireless encryption is still taken care of by your router, pgp can still be used for email, and https still works just the same.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

hefff
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]Few questions before installing Mint.

Post by hefff »

thx. Btw having huge problem with setting my connection in the installation. It keeps resets if u dont put it in exact order.

Return to “Newbie Questions”