How do I add applets in GNOME3?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wujj123456

How do I add applets in GNOME3?

Post by wujj123456 »

Hi everyone,

I recently switched to Mint 12, and I am now using the default GNOME3. However, I used to have the sensors-applet, timer-applet, sshmenu on my panel, but I haven't figured out a way to put them back. I searched quite a bit, but the results only confused me more. Is it possible to add applets to the GNOME panel after all? If it's possible, could anyone point me some link to start with? The GNOME3 with extensions in Mint12 fits my need quite well, but I really miss those tiny applets.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
StanTheMan

Re: How do I add applets in GNOME3?

Post by StanTheMan »

When you start up LM 12 at the User log-in window at the left side of the screen, there is a Radial Button with which you can select four dfesktop modes.
Gnome 3 default shows icons for launchers. Gnome 3 classic shows a launcher menu in a column of text. Gnome 3 apparently is designed not to use applets, and the Panel is intended only for limited informatioin.
The fourth option " MATE " can be customized.
wujj123456

Post by wujj123456 »

StanTheMan wrote:When you start up LM 12 at the User log-in window at the left side of the screen, there is a Radial Button with which you can select four dfesktop modes.
Gnome 3 default shows icons for launchers. Gnome 3 classic shows a launcher menu in a column of text. Gnome 3 apparently is designed not to use applets, and the Panel is intended only for limited information.
The fourth option " MATE " can be customized.
Thank you for the info. GNOME 3 classic works fine for me. It would be nice if GNOME 3 default can have applets, but I am happy with GNOME 3 classic for now.

However, I still failed to find sshmenu applet (sshmenu-gnome) and sensors applet (sensors-applet). Do you know how can I figure out if they are renamed or simply gone? Or is anyone aware of alternatives?
wujj123456

Post by wujj123456 »

Follow up:

sensors-applet works out-of-box when compiled from source. Remember to use ./configure --prefix=/usr
http://sensors-applet.sourceforge.net/

For sshmenu, installing from source didn't go well. sshmenu-gnome failed to launch, and the applet didn't appear in the "Add to Panel" list after installation. The makefile hardcoded some ruby directories, but I think the main problem are missing requirements (libpanel-applet2-ruby libgconf2-ruby) that no longer exist in the package system. I don't plan to dig out those old packages and install them for now.

Hopefully it's helpful for people using these applets before.
michaelg14

Post by michaelg14 »

The closest you will come to applets is Gnome shell extensions. Look at https://extensions.gnome.org/ you will find a few things you can add. Hopefully there will be more as time goes by.

Return to “Beginner Questions”