What are the basic differences between DEs'

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
shams
Level 1
Level 1

What are the basic differences between DEs'

Post by shams » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:20 am

What are the basic differences between GNOME, OEM, KDE, LXDE and Xfce?

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Re: What are the basic differences between DEs'

Post by richyrich » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:11 pm

From a friend : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 93#p314893

OEM is mainly for manufacturers and allows an install without creating the initial/first user.

rekik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rekik » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:35 pm

This is an advocacy for a particular DE, not a a comparative between DE's.

shams
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shams » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:37 am

richyrich wrote:From a friend : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 93#p314893

OEM is mainly for manufacturers and allows an install without creating the initial/first user.
Nice topic to understand easily about DEs' :D
My PC configuration:
Processor:- Intel Celeron 1.80 Ghz
RAM: 1GB DDR2
HDD: 320 GB

So, Xfce or LXDE will work good for my PC rather than GNOME or KDE. Am I right? Expect suggestion from the experienced person :)
Last edited by shams on Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:48 am

Pointless 2 cents ... for the most part agree ... xfce or summin like lxde w 1gb of RAM are better choices than the heavier ones. That's the easy answer anyway. Can be a lot to it too imo. Depends on you, your preferences and tastes, so forth. All these things are opensource ... Gnu/Linux software underneath and are configurable to suit a particular persons tastes IF they take the time to gain the knowledge to do what they want.

A lightweight DE can still be made to be bloated and run poorly, depends on the person using it or the people who packaged the software in the first place. How they chose to config it and what they decided to include. Personally quit using DE's a pretty good while ago. Cause I have an older PC that's lower spec and despise bloat. LM10 (Gnome 2.xwhatever) ran fine on this old box w all of 512mbs ddr2. Though I spent mucho time learning how to tweak it to get it lighter and running better for me. Honestly, it ran fairly well even default. Just mucho better after tweaking.

Mentioned simple and easy answer is low spec/ram system = Don't use heavy GUI's/DE's, yep ... lighter weight DE's on lower RAM w lower powered CPUs ... makes sense. Depends on what you like, how you use your pc, how much time you want to invest learning about using/config'ing gnu/nix blahblahblah n etc. Guessing the best way to know what you like and works best for you, is to try a bunch of them and see for yourself. If you're inclined, have the time + the interest, after you explore DE's you can move on into the other gui options gnu/Linux has ... Windows managers.

PS, afterthought, lol ... Oh well ... on top of that, considering it's all Gnu/Linux and amazingly configable. You aren't limited to using only 1 DE/WM anyway. You can install several and switch between them in a couple secs. OR you can multiboot and try diff DE's/etc in all their glory, lol. Gotta admit all this great software and the people who made it, have done some awesome stuff for all us end users. Just a matter of what you want to do and how much time you want to spend playing with it. If you have 1gb/ram and no desire to invest the time, then yep, think someone would be better off sticking to the lighter weight DE's available for Linux. :D

Sighs ... 1 more afterthought, then am done with this thread, lol. Am sure LM has something or combination of summins that will run great for you either way. Think the main thing is having fun with all this great software. Guessing no matter what ... gnu/nix has something for everyone. Might look this over.

rekik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rekik » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:49 am

shams wrote: Nice topic to understand easily about DEs' :D
My PC configuration:
Processor:- Intel Celeron 1.80 Ghz
RAM: 1GB DDR2
HDD: 320 GB

So, Xfce or LXDE will work good for my PC rather than GNOME or KDE. Am I right? Expect suggestion from the experienced person :)
I would suggest to install both xfce and lxde and to try them. In brief, Lxde is faster and Xfce is easier.

weddingcoo

Post by weddingcoo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:18 am

thanks for the help. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”