Can't get away from gaming, discussion/advice?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Wyered1
Level 1
Level 1

Can't get away from gaming, discussion/advice?

Post by Wyered1 »

I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a newb, nor guru. Since I picked up on Ubuntu a few years ago and moved on through the distros I only needed Windows once and a long while when I needed to run a specific program for some random school or work task (Almost never). So having a small partition to dual boot during those sporadic times was no big deal. Now however, I have upgraded my system to a high end gaming platform with triple monitors and it's quite impressive. I used to only play Starcraft and SC2 and I could get those working in Linux using Crossover or at least a VM.

But now I'm at some unforeseen crossroads that I'm finding it hard to sort out. Starcraft does not officially support multiple monitors, so it was much easier to work with in Linux. I want to play eyefinity capable games, especially Battlefield 3. And I want to play often enough that it is severely discouraging to boot into Windoze and back again afterwards. I have so much power in this PC that Windoze runs fine. Even more so, now with the latest LM12, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, and Fedora, none of the distros seem to be in a practical state right now. Gnome 3 has HORRIBLE multi-monitor functionality (even more so using three vs. two monitors) and Unity is... just bad. I'm a long time avid Linux supporter, but now I'm actually considering abandoning to Windoze and running LM10 in a VM for the free apps I like. I'm not a big KDE fan, and Suse and Fedora had some serious problems with my system as of late.

I want to avoid this. I would absolutely love if I can figure out how to run Windows in a VM in LM (Probably Classic Gnome 2 version) in a seemless mode that would allow me to play BF3 in high 5760x1080 resolution. I know for sure Wine is probably not an option here. IS there anyone here with more gaming experience, especially in the sense of using VMs to accomplish it. I am very good at customizing Linux the way I like it (At least Gnome2) and it has a lot of eyecandy and extremely functional. I'm sure I can make Gnome 3 the same, but if I switch to Windows I fear it will be rather difficult to get the same results, even more so without a financial commitment.

I found a lot of useless and/or outdated information in my searches so I'm hoping this will take off in the forums and give me some direction. This is a call out to the Linux community. I usually post on ubuntuforums, but since I've migrated over to LM and LM is taking off lately I thought I would give it a try here first.

-Wyered1

adityagautam
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can't get away from gaming, discussion/advice?

Post by adityagautam »

I'll be honest - I am no guru with either Windows or Linux or games, but I do have moderate knowledge and experience with all three of these.
Wine is definitely not an option, since all it does it emulate Windows. That's not without stability issues, even more so with resource heavy programs, such as games. VMs are much better, since they run run Windows itself in them. So as compared to games run in an emulator, the game is run in Windows, which in turn is run within Linux. Now multiple monitors, on any OS, is uncharted territory for me, but as far as I can tell, if you're having issues running Linux with multiple monitors, chances are you'll have issues running a game in a VM too.
Or if I got you wrong, and you're just having trouble running the desktop, or that it looks just plain ugly, then there are apps that make it better and easier for you. Synergy is one for Linux, but since I haven't used it, I can't recommend it.
As for the main question of playing games on multiple monitors, I believe your best bet would be playing them on a native Windows installation. Windows 7 is definitely the best option for running multiple monitors, and that too, right out of the box.
As far as switching OSs is concerned, you say you have a hi-performance gaming rig: I assume it has a (or maybe more) core i7 processor, graphics card with 3+ GiB GDDR5 graphics memory, between 16 and 24 GiB of RAM @1333+ MHz, and at least one SSD. In such a system, from my experience, it doesn't make more than a few seconds to boot in, so unless you're terribly impatient, a dozen or so seconds between your games and other programs shouldn't be of much bother. And its definitely easier to run Linux on a VM in windows, if gaming is the preference. Also, if you run games within a VM on Linux, you won't be able to squeeze out all the juice out of your gaming hardware, since the game (and Windows) won't be accessing the hardware directly, but through a layer of Linux sandwiched between the game and the hardware, and hardware which don't have proprietary drivers for Linux, and a running on generic drivers, you can miss a huge chunk of functionality with with non-conventional Linux hardware, such as gaming mice, keyboards and controllers.
Also, a note regarding Gnome 3: if you rig has an ATI graphics card, then you'll run into a lot of trouble with Gnome 3. Gnome 3 has known issues with ATI graphics cards, and there is no easy workaround, if at all. This might be the cause of several distros you mentioned, all of which but Ubuntu, use Gnome3 as their default desktop environments. So if you've got an ATI graphics card, then your best bet is either Ubuntu running Unity or another distro running KDE or an older distro running Gnome2.

Teufel9000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teufel9000 »

As far as switching OSs is concerned, you say you have a hi-performance gaming rig: I assume it has a (or maybe more) core i7 processor, graphics card with 3+ GiB GDDR5 graphics memory, between 16 and 24 GiB of RAM @1333+ MHz, and at least one SSD

i think u skiped High performance and jumped right into enthusist / graphics design.

High performance for gaming at minmum atm is
4gb RAM (1333 and 1600 is cheap)

most gpus arnt even 3gb a single 1gb or 2gb card 550ti or Radeon 5770 will play most modern games on high @ 1080 res.
only game i know that eats more than 1GB of Vram is Battlefield 3 on ultra
for Cpu ANY modern processor will be fine from X4 Phenom II to an intel's 2500k is sweetspot

on topic now
@OP i suggest to use Windows for gaming and linux for everything else.

Wine doesnt like to play in fullscreen mode for me so its a drag but its definantly a step in right direction.

i personnally boot linux first then hop on windows for gaming. Think of it like Console Game Emulators. it might look the same but because it is emulated it can never be perfectly the same. ( IE glitchs, compatibility issues )

Windows only good point at this time is for Gaming

adityagautam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adityagautam »

He mentioned "high-end gaming platform" so I kind of assumed that. Though now that you mention it, I believe I could have gone a little overboard, although if I were to build a gaming rig, I would have gone for a setup similar to one that I mentioned, provided I had sufficient funds. Or would have gone for a console, either one.
The truth is, it's been a really long time since I've seen any new desktop computer. I'm in college right now, and pretty much everybody has laptops. The standard configuration these days is a core i3/i5 processor, 4GB DDR3 RAM @1033/1333MHz, 512MB/1GB VRAM, 500GB HDD (usually non solid state), and 1366x768 LCDs. I have a laptop from early 2010, with a core i7 720QM @1.6Ghz-upto 2.8GHz w/turbo-boost, 4GB DDR RAM @1333Mhz, an ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 w/ 1GB VRAM, and a 500 GB HDD@7200RPM, and I just installed NFS The Run, just after posting the last post, and my computer just struggled at running it, even at the lowest settings. So I believe my computer has gone old by today's gaming standards. On another note, another person I know got a "hi-performance/gaming" laptop with the latest, highest end Intel proc (probably a second generation (Sandy Bridge) i727xx or 29xx QX or something), 8+GB DDR3, with one SSD for fast booting OS and fast loading games, and another magnetic HDD for storage, with a 3GB 3D capable graphics card. So I assumed that must be the gaming configuration today. When I bought my laptop, there was no system as good as it, not even Alienwares, and today it can't run the latest NFS title at mimimum settings. I believe BF3 too isn't very modest in its demands, being from the same EA stable Of course, the publisher doesn't have much to do with the performance of the game, NFS Hot Pursuit, developed by criterion Games, unlike the new ones by Slightly Mad Studios and Black Box, ran just lovely, even with all settings maxed out. Still, CoD MW3 looks much more promising right now.

Teufel9000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teufel9000 »

im in college too and all my friends built rigs since laptops are deadends after like a year (gaming wise). BF3 is actually one of most optimized games for PC. a dualcore only saw like 5 fps loss over a quad. ITs just very GPU dependent (my 5770 has run medium @ 1600x1050) fot 60fps constant.

btw COD is still using same lame old engine as always so good chances u wont run into fps problems.

my 2cents

hefff
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hefff »

adityagautam with this super computer u got problems in windows gaming or in linux?

adityagautam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adityagautam »

hefff wrote:adityagautam with this super computer u got problems in windows gaming or in linux?
I believe you have a slight misconception. I have a Dell Studio XPS 1645, with the following configuration:
  • Intel Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz-2.8GHz
    4 GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon 4670
    1920x1080 screen resolution
and not the other "Super" configuration that I mentioned.

with this, I do not usually have a problem (but then I don't play a terrible lot of games either). COD-MW2 and COD-BO played just fine at all settings maxed out, NFS-HP too plays just fine as max settings (there is a bit of a lag, but that's pretty bearable). However, I haven't been able to play Battlefield 2: Bad Company at max settings, and either of Shift-2 or NFS The run at any settings at all. Burnout paradise too runs fine at all settings but one maxed out (some setting called SRS or something, when I try to switch it on, it warns me that it's meant only for really really hi-end computers). These are some of the last/latest games I've played, or those I've had issues with, everything else (and older) has run just fine.

The other "Super" configuration would definitely not have any issues, but a lot depends on the type of graphics card. The speed of the graphics processor and the RAM affect more than just the quantity of VRAM. e.g. 1 GB of GDDR5 VRAM could easily outperform something like 3GB GDDR3.

Return to “Newbie Questions”