HELP! CD/Rom not recognized...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
clusolynn
Level 1
Level 1

HELP! CD/Rom not recognized...

Post by clusolynn »

Hello, I'm not sure where to start. I had problems with Mint 8/Helena and Bluefish, so I loaded another copy of Helena onto my computer just to finish what I had started. Then, I attempted to install Mint 10 from DVD. It will not load, and when Mint 8 finally (It takes a veeeeeeery long time to boot) does boot up, it doesn't recognize the CD/Rom, the power/open buttons don't even work! My system consist of the following:
Pentium D 3GHz
2GB DDRII 533
ATA 500GB HD (SATA)
Mother Board: ASRock 4 core dual sata2
Bios: American Megatrends Version P2.20
Host Bridge Via technologies PT880 Ultra/PT894
VGA/PCI Controller/card ATI RV370 (Radeon x300)
Linux Mint 8 Helena 2.6.31-14-generic(i686)
GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Desktop Environment; GNOME 2.28.1

I also have Windows 7 installed but rarely used. I would like to install Mint 10 and get rid of both versions of Helena. I'm more than a little slow with programming languages, please answer with detailed, easy to follow instructions, or call ***-***-****, my name is John and my hair is only a half an inch long, please help before it's all gone!

Edited to remove personal data (phone number). It is not a good idea to publish personal contact data like phone numbers or email addresses on an open forum. You never know who might be lurking.

Aging Technogeek
Forum Moderator

hefff
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HELP! CD/Rom not recognized...

Post by hefff »

so it looks like hardware problem for me. If u say power/open doesn't work so probably drive fail. Try for start goin in Bios menu and check there if it sees ur CD/DVD-drive in Main Settings. If u dont see it recognised alongside ur hard disk. Then open the case if u brave enough :D, check the power and data cables. Try replug them and check if works. If they look fine and not unconnected try changing to the other ide/sata slot and/or try use other power cable for the cd/dvd. If u changed the power cable(that come from ur pc power supply) and still not working try to use the same power cable for ur hdd. And if it works normal then try give it for repair or try by urself. Cd drives r not very complex to fix.

clusolynn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HELP! CD/Rom not recognized...[SOLVED}

Post by clusolynn »

Thanks for the reply.......I'm a little hesitant about posting the fix! I, uh, oh well, I , the, both the CD and DVD drives were set as Master. Duh? I still don't remember setting them, or re-setting them from the last time they worked. I set the CD to slave and everything works fine! I did state in my post that I was a little slow....maybe slower than I realized. Again, thanks for the response, It's reassuring to know some people are willing to help, John. :mrgreen:

Return to “Newbie Questions”